Old 11-11-2007, 02:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Beautiful rain

We have had 152 mm so far this month, mostly in gentle showers.

The subsoil is recharged again, the pasture is green again, everything is
leaping ahead. I have three kinds of squash escaping from their mounds and
filling the fridge.

The river is running, the dam is full, the house tanks runneth over.

Most of the strawberries had individual grey fur coats :-(

The BT and pyrethrum is all gone. My fingers were glued together with
squashed grubs ...
but I washed before typing.

David

Old 11-11-2007, 11:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article , "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

We have had 152 mm so far this month, mostly in gentle showers.

The subsoil is recharged again, the pasture is green again, everything is
leaping ahead. I have three kinds of squash escaping from their mounds and
filling the fridge.

The river is running, the dam is full, the house tanks runneth over.

So good to hear! Ditto here, but we had some quite heavy rain at times. And
now the kikuyu runneth over my vegies :-(

Most of the strawberries had individual grey fur coats :-(

The BT and pyrethrum is all gone. My fingers were glued together with
squashed grubs ...
but I washed before typing.

Thanks for that delightful mental picture!

I have two little boys who have spent the weekend getting muddy in the back
yard. Napisan does work to remove mud, I found. However, the pastime of
"throw the rock into the ditch" was abandoned today after the smaller one
copped one on the head (no serious injuries, I'm happy to report).

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old 11-11-2007, 11:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

Chookie wrote:
In article , "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

We have had 152 mm so far this month, mostly in gentle showers.

Stop being greedy and send some to Brisbane!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:07 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Lionel van den Berg" wrote in message
Chookie wrote:
In article , "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

We have had 152 mm so far this month, mostly in gentle showers.

Stop being greedy and send some to Brisbane!

Forget Brissy (sorry offspring) We NEED it further west so you guys can eat.
Had some light stuff overnight to go with the 42mm so far this month. Only
another 180mm needed to give an average year.
Jim

Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day david,

40mm of good soaking stuff so far this month for us in northern brissy
bayside (bayside always better for rain opportunities) the islands
ahve been getting heaps from our observations early in the month nth
straddie had around 50mm for the one day.

reckon we need another 74 flood to beak this drought.

got 66mm last month.

last night maps showed a nice big system setting up over the solomons
might be the first blow for the season?

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:45:15 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 13-11-2007, 06:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Not sure how much we got through last week, but I do know that on Friday
(9th) we had 168mm in 24 hours on the beautiful MidNorthCoast of NSW.
Sunny since Sunday so everything has dried out again now.

Len, extended periods of drought almost always end with a flood, don't
they? There was some localised flooding around here last Friday at high
tide, but once the tide turned flood waters could recede.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 13-11-2007, 06:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day bronwyn,

yes flood follows drought, but amazing how many want the drought to
break but don't want the flood?? not prepared i would suggest and also
the next aussie day type flood will realy show the bad side of our
city planners development process.

yes i've been watching the satt' pics and other maps the southern end
of the gold coast and well into nth'n nsw always get lots more rain
opportunities than what some of us others get even around the sunshine
coast, reckon it is that there is more unspoilt habitat in those
areas.

Old 13-11-2007, 07:03 PM posted to aus.gardens

i mentioned it in an earlier post that system up north has tightened
and is into the torress straight just nth/east of the cape it is down
to 993hp has some rotation going, although we don't want harm to
anyone could this be the system that gives us much needed rain down
this way?

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:45:15 +1100, "David Hare-Scott" snipped

Old 14-11-2007, 07:59 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

I hope everyone gets some much needed rain and will be watching the
weather reports as usual.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 14-11-2007, 09:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

SG1 wrote:
Forget Brissy (sorry offspring) We NEED it further west so you guys can eat.
Had some light stuff overnight to go with the 42mm so far this month. Only
another 180mm needed to give an average year.

I agree, I wouldn't mind donating you the 180mm, but I would like some
over the dams too.

Old 15-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Registered User

dave you are a tosser!
Old 23-11-2007, 10:10 PM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day Len...and others!

Did you get any rain over the last few days? 89mm was recorded just a
few blocks from where I live, but it was very heavy. Today clear,
bright blue skies and the grass is so lovely and green!

My small rainwater tank that I fitted 2-3 weeks ago is now full!!
Yippee!! lovely water to drink....ssshhhh!! don't tell the council
that I'm drinking it, they advertise that rainwater is NOT fit for human
consumption. So if I don't wake up tomorrow, at least I'll know what
killed me!! ROFLMHO!

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 23-11-2007, 11:55 PM posted to aus.gardens

HC wrote:
G'day Len...and others!

Did you get any rain over the last few days? 89mm was recorded just a
few blocks from where I live, but it was very heavy. Today clear,
bright blue skies and the grass is so lovely and green!

In Sydney, something up there has been piddling for the last few days,
but not enough to consider that the garden is being effectively watered.
Old 24-11-2007, 04:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

"HC" wrote in message ...
G'day Len...and others!

Did you get any rain over the last few days? 89mm was recorded just a
few blocks from where I live, but it was very heavy. Today clear,
bright blue skies and the grass is so lovely and green!

Yes another 40mm or so. The pasture and garden are powering on.

My small rainwater tank that I fitted 2-3 weeks ago is now full!!
Yippee!! lovely water to drink....ssshhhh!! don't tell the council
that I'm drinking it, they advertise that rainwater is NOT fit for human
consumption. So if I don't wake up tomorrow, at least I'll know what
killed me!! ROFLMHO!

How weird! I drink nothing but rainwater and it's better than any town water
I have ever had.

David

Old 24-11-2007, 06:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

"HC" wrote in message

My small rainwater tank that I fitted 2-3 weeks ago is now full!! Yippee!!
lovely water to drink....ssshhhh!! don't tell the council that I'm
drinking it, they advertise that rainwater is NOT fit for human
consumption. So if I don't wake up tomorrow, at least I'll know what
killed me!! ROFLMHO!

Good Lord! I've been drinking rainwater for at least 40 years.