Old 06-03-2003, 04:15 AM
TakeThisOut

Default Elephant Ears

I just picked up 6 Elephant Ears bulbs (tubers?) They're as big as cantelopes.
According to the package, I can plant them indoors now (4-6 weeks before the
outdoor growing season begins) I have 6 huge 10 gallon post and the rich soil
mix ready to go, but 1 problem... I can't tell which way the bulb is "up".
These bulbs are very clean and dirt-free and have no root or old stem remanents
on it.

On each bulb, one end appears to have been cut cleanly with a knife as it's
kind of squared off so the bulb will sit on a flat surface. And all over the
opposite side of the sphere there seem to be round discolorations of varying
diameters, so I figure the squared off end is the root, and the other end is
the stems. Correct?

I Did a google search on these and there have been lots of posts on this board
regarding elephant ears, but not this issue.

TIA

Now - 52 degrees and raining in Long Island NY
Tomorrow - 31 and snow 2-4"

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com
Old 06-03-2003, 04:27 AM
Hawkeye

Make sure you WANT THEM. They have a tendency to take off and encroach
where you don't want them. Would suggest a pot for each.

TakeThisOut wrote:
[...]

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com

Old 06-03-2003, 04:27 AM
TakeThisOut

Make sure you WANT THEM. They have a tendency to take off and encroach
where you don't want them. Would suggest a pot for each.

Oh yes, I want them allright - they look like a fun plant and I have a LOT of
garden to fill this year after killin off a large patch of lawn I felt was
useless.

I could definately plant them inside pots and bury the pots as well. The area
is very fertile as I regraded it and dumped a lot of my compost there and added
bagged manure and topsoil in the fall.

It gets sun in the morning and shade from about 11am-2pm then sun again until
it sinks below a 6' stockade fence.

Water no problem as well.

So how about it? Which end is up? If I have to I'll put them all in a pot of
soil and water until they've sprouted enough for me to tell.

Old 06-03-2003, 07:15 AM
Frog Dan

Hi, I grew two of the Elephant ears last summer in 10 gallon tubs with no
problem. I would say, if I remember right, the pointy end should face up.
The squared off end probaby is the top. I saved one of the bulbs and had to
cut off the stem of leaves which left a flat squared off end. If you let it
die off slowely, I would guess there would be a point end. Live in Michigan,
so the cold weather came on pretty fast last fall. Brought the tubs into the
garage but was afraid they would freeze - SO...CHOP I went and then dug up
the bulb up to store it in the basement. There roots will fill any
container you plant them in and will be larger ( 6 to 9 feet tall and wide)
when allowed to grow in large tubs. I had grown one in a 2 gallon pot all
summer a few years ago............ never got taller than 2 feet. They are
very tropical looking and sure add interest to a small back patio garden
area I have.

Good Luck,
Dan

Old 06-03-2003, 09:51 AM
TakeThisOut

Hi, I grew two of the Elephant ears last summer in 10 gallon tubs with no
problem. I would say, if I remember right, the pointy end should face up.
The squared off end probaby is the top. I saved one of the bulbs and had to
cut off the stem of leaves which left a flat squared off end. If you let it
die off slowely, I would guess there would be a point end.

Well that's the problem, the other "end" opposite the squared-off end isn't
pointy at all, it's perfectly rounded. All the bulbs I have are either just
about perfectly round spheres, or egg-shaped, with one end somewhat squared off
so it will stand on a flat surface.

That's why I'm inclined to think that the flattened or squared--off end is
where the leaves were once cut off. But I'm not sure, and since these bulbs are
planted shallow with only 3" of cover for a 8-10" diameter bulb, I think
planting them sideways isn't going to yield good results.

Live in Michigan,
so the cold weather came on pretty fast last fall. Brought the tubs into the
garage but was afraid they would freeze - SO...CHOP I went and then dug up
the bulb up to store it in the basement. There roots will fill any
container you plant them in and will be larger ( 6 to 9 feet tall and wide)
when allowed to grow in large tubs. I had grown one in a 2 gallon pot all
summer a few years ago............ never got taller than 2 feet. They are
very tropical looking and sure add interest to a small back patio garden
area I have.

Good Luck,
Dan

Thanks Dan. When you 1st purchased these bulbs, were they already growing?

TakeThisOut wrote:
[...]

Subject: Elephant Ears

edband!news.tele.dk!news.tele.dk!small.news.tele.d k!proxad.net!freenix!sn-
xit-02!sn-xit-06!sn-post-01!supernews.com!corp.supernews.com!not-for-mail
From: "Frog Dan"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 02:10:43 -0500

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com

Old 06-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Cathy

The cut off end faces the sky.

I have been planting these forever in NJ. (The UPS man says the garden
looks like Jurasic Park.) You will have to dig them out after the first
frost if you want to have them year after year. I usually plant in
early May.

Cathy
Little Egg Harbor, NJ

--
.... __~o
.. \ -\,

te amo mucho mi amor

Old 06-03-2003, 06:27 PM
michele

Hi...from NJ....for the first time last year I grew Elephant Ears in
my garden. I planted 2 of the huge tubers and they grew wonderfully.
At the end of the season I wasn't sure when to cut off the
green/brown part before I dug them up - so unfortunately, I never dug
them up so they could winter inside. We'll see what happens this
spring. I was surprised by your phrase "encroach"...they will
actually spread????

Old 06-03-2003, 10:19 PM
TakeThisOut

The cut off end faces the sky.

Thank you!

I have been planting these forever in NJ. (The UPS man says the garden
looks like Jurasic Park.) You will have to dig them out after the first
frost if you want to have them year after year.

Yes, the package mentioned that. So now I must dig these and the Cannas up...

Do these plants duplicate? When I dig them up, will I have 2 or more bulbs
where I once planted 1? My Cannas spread all during the growing season, there
isn't a point in time when there aren't new plants sprouting around the
originals... right up until frost.

Thanks again!

I usually plant in
early May.

Cathy
Little Egg Harbor, NJ

Old 06-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Cathy

TakeThisOut wrote:
The cut off end faces the sky.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

Yes, the package mentioned that. So now I must dig these and the Cannas up...

Do these plants duplicate? When I dig them up, will I have 2 or more bulbs
where I once planted 1?

They will have smaller 'off-shoots' from the main bulb. AFTER drying
them out over the winter, you can break it up. Smaller leaves on the
smaller bulbs..got it?

Cathy

--
.... __~o
.. \ -\,

te amo mucho mi amor

Old 07-03-2003, 06:56 AM
Frog Dan

Hi,
I got a couple of new tubers on Thursday, but they are only as big a
larger potato - NOT the 8 -10 inches mentioned - WOW. And yes, these have a
pointy end that is obviously the top because one already has a little green
sprout growing. Let's see...... my tubers cost $2.99 each and are a little
over 3 inches in diameter - What did you pay for the 8-10 diameter ones?

Dan

"Cathy" wrote in message

TakeThisOut wrote:
The cut off end faces the sky.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

Old 07-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Cathy

I bought them in bulk from a grower in Florida. If I remember correctly
I purchased 20 and the total bill was $60. If I can find the grower's
name and number I will forward.

Cathy

Frog Dan wrote:
Hi,
I got a couple of new tubers on Thursday, but they are only as big a
larger potato - NOT the 8 -10 inches mentioned - WOW. And yes, these have a
pointy end that is obviously the top because one already has a little green
sprout growing. Let's see...... my tubers cost $2.99 each and are a little
over 3 inches in diameter - What did you pay for the 8-10 diameter ones?

Dan

"Cathy" wrote in message

TakeThisOut wrote:

The cut off end faces the sky.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

Old 08-03-2003, 11:32 PM
TakeThisOut

I bought them at Home Depot for 5.99 or 6.99 each. They're the size of large
coconuts or slightly larger than a cantelope, and about as heavy. Package says
the plants will grow 6-7' tall and just as wide, spacing 3-4'.

Frog Dan wrote:
Hi,
I got a couple of new tubers on Thursday, but they are only as big a
larger potato - NOT the 8 -10 inches mentioned - WOW. And yes, these have a
pointy end that is obviously the top because one already has a little green
sprout growing. Let's see...... my tubers cost $2.99 each and are a little
over 3 inches in diameter - What did you pay for the 8-10 diameter ones?

Dan

"Cathy" wrote in message

TakeThisOut wrote:

The cut off end faces the sky.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

[...]

ewsfeed.berkeley.edu!ucberkeley!hammer.uoregon.edu !arclight.uoregon.edu!wn
13feed!worldnet.att.net!bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Cathy
Newsgroups: rec.gardens

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:14:52 GMT

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com
Old 09-03-2003, 12:57 AM
Cathy

They get BIG. At least 5 ft high. Big leaves. I could stand naked
behind one leaf. I would space them at least 6 ft.

They are great for macro photos.

http://www.members.tripod.com/eyecandygirl/index.htm

http://www.members.tripod.com/eyecan...teardrop1w.htm ~~~

Cathy

Frog Dan wrote:

Hi,
I got a couple of new tubers on Thursday, but they are only as big a
larger potato - NOT the 8 -10 inches mentioned - WOW. And yes, these

have a
pointy end that is obviously the top because one already has a

little green
sprout growing. Let's see...... my tubers cost $2.99 each and are a

little
over 3 inches in diameter - What did you pay for the 8-10 diameter

ones?

Dan

"Cathy" wrote in message

TakeThisOut wrote:

The cut off end faces the sky.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

[...]

lobby!ngtf-m01.news.aol.com!ngpeer.news.aol.com!news.cis.ohio-state.edu!n

From: Cathy
Newsgroups: rec.gardens

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:14:52 GMT

(Fri, 07
Mar 2003 14:14:52 GMT)

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com

--
.... __~o
.. \ -\,
......(_)/(_).......................
http://www.VoodooInk.net

te amo mucho mi amor

Old 10-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Frog Dan

OH MY GOD...... Lets hope when you stand naked behind one of the leaves the
wind is not a blowin' :-) I will have to try Home Depot for those coconuts
sized tubers. On the other hand, Lowes had the potato sized ones for $2.99.
I live in Michigan ( Metro Detroit Area) so I figure the " BIG ONES" don't
make it here. Maybe some other Michiganders can prove me wrong :-)

Dan

Frog Dan wrote:

Hi,
I got a couple of new tubers on Thursday, but they are only as big

larger potato - NOT the 8 -10 inches mentioned - WOW. And yes, these

have a
pointy end that is obviously the top because one already has a

little green
sprout growing. Let's see...... my tubers cost $2.99 each and are a

little
over 3 inches in diameter - What did you pay for the 8-10 diameter

ones?

Dan

"Cathy" wrote in message

TakeThisOut wrote:

The cut off end faces the sky.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

From: Cathy
Newsgroups: rec.gardens

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:14:52 GMT

(Fri, 07
Mar 2003 14:14:52 GMT)

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Cathy

Walmart has the BIG ones sometimes.

Frog Dan wrote:

Hi,
I got a couple of new tubers on Thursday, but they are only as big

larger potato - NOT the 8 -10 inches mentioned - WOW. And yes, these

have a
pointy end that is obviously the top because one already has a

little green
sprout growing. Let's see...... my tubers cost $2.99 each and are a

little
over 3 inches in diameter - What did you pay for the 8-10 diameter

ones?

Dan

"Cathy" wrote in message

TakeThisOut wrote:

The cut off end faces the sky.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

From: Cathy
Newsgroups: rec.gardens

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:14:52 GMT

(Fri, 07
Mar 2003 14:14:52 GMT)

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
TAKETHISOUT budysbackagain(@)THAT TOO a-oh-ell dot com

--
.... __~o
.. \ -\,
......(_)/(_).......................
http://www.VoodooInk.net

te amo mucho mi amor

--
.... __~o
.. \ -\,

te amo mucho mi amor

[IMG] code is On

Elephant Ears Road Runner Gardening 5 17-02-2005 04:36 AM
elephant ears without the elephant Litl Fish Australia 5 15-06-2003 03:08 AM
elephant ears without the elephant Litl Fish Australia 0 27-05-2003 08:32 AM
Elephant Ears Jane Gardening 1 19-04-2003 03:56 PM
elephant ears TakeThisOut Gardening 3 07-04-2003 06:20 PM