Old 18-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Tristan

Default Fungal Problems

We have a North/South aligned path running from our front door along the
side of the house to the garage, it is shaded on both sides and the Northern
end so it gets very little sunlight. The Orange Jessamines are doing
fantastically but everything else seems to be covered in a white fluffy
fungus. The roses are especially affected, I know its too dark for them
really but we would like them to stay. The Gardenias are also affected,
however the very sick gardenias are the ones closest to a rendered brick
wall, which actually acts as a retaining wall for about 40 cm of next doors
land. I was wondering perhaps if excessive lime was leaching out of the wall
and into the soil. The Gardenias also have a brown sooty coating, plus what
I think is scale, and occasionally those little marshmallow white things.
Can any one help? We are in Perth.

Tristan

Old 18-07-2003, 07:22 AM
rapdor

The "marshmallow white things" are almost certainly mealy bug. Blast them
off with your hose, paying particular attention at all joints. If that
fails, spray with white oil, which will probably do the job on the gardenias
too. You might also consider cutting back on watering for a while.

.. .

Old 18-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Jane VR

Tristan wrote:

[...]

Get a pH test kit from a garden centre to test the soil. Add sulphur if
it is too limey.

Is the fungus like a powdery layer on the leaves, or like bits of fluff
stuck to stems and under leaves? If it's the latter, it's from the
mealybug. If white oil doesn't work, try methylated spirits. If there is
lots of fluff around be prepared to do followup sprays regularly, or
drench the soil with malathion, as they lay eggs underground.

If it's powdery mildew, then you could spray with wettable sulphur. This
is a good time of year for that. Follow the instructions as you can burn
the plants. Someone suggested Bordeaux mixture a while back, and someone
else suggested milk, so you could try them.

White oil will also treat scale and sooty mould. Check for ants, too.

Jane