Old 30-12-2005, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Eliminating Fungal Disease

I have a spot in my flower garden that suffers from some kind of fungal
disease, perhaps powdery mildew. In late winter I cut back my scabiosa
and coreopsis to the ground, and they start off the season fine. But
by mid-summer they start showing signs of disease. The problem is
exacerbated by the fact that this small area of the garden is watered
by the lawn sprinkler instead of dripline irrigation like the rest of
the garden. Is there any way to eliminate fungal disease from an area,
or at least give the plants grown here a fighting chance?

-Fleemo

Old 30-12-2005, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

wrote in message
oups.com
I have a spot in my flower garden that suffers from some kind
of
fungal disease, perhaps powdery mildew. In late winter I cut
back
my scabiosa and coreopsis to the ground, and they start off the
season fine. But by mid-summer they start showing signs of
disease. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that this small
area of the garden is watered by the lawn sprinkler instead of
dripline irrigation like the rest of the garden. Is there any
way
to eliminate fungal disease from an area, or at least give the
plants grown here a fighting chance?

-Fleemo

You have answered your own question within the question.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 30-12-2005, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

You will need to commit an act of fungicide.

Next spring, go to your local garden center, buy some commercial fungicide
and apply it.

oups.com...

Old 31-12-2005, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a spot in my flower garden that suffers from some kind of fungal
disease, perhaps powdery mildew. In late winter I cut back my scabiosa
and coreopsis to the ground, and they start off the season fine. But
by mid-summer they start showing signs of disease. The problem is
exacerbated by the fact that this small area of the garden is watered
by the lawn sprinkler instead of dripline irrigation like the rest of
the garden. Is there any way to eliminate fungal disease from an area,
or at least give the plants grown here a fighting chance?

In addition to changing the irrigation and applying the fungicide, you might
take a couple more steps. First, if you are going to use overhead
irrigation, do it early in the day so the plants have a chance to dry before
evening. Also, I find plants that are prone to powdery mildew, like
monarda, respond well to a mid-season shearing. It delays the bloom time,
keeps the plants more compact, and at least delays the onset of the mildew.
You might also consider relocating the mildew-prone plants to another area
and putting mildew-resistant plants in the area that gets the overhead
irrigation.

Old 31-12-2005, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Fix the cultural conditions, your watering practices are most of the
cause. Fungicides would only prevent the symptoms.

Old 31-12-2005, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Wrong.

By definition, fungicides kill the fungi.

They do not eliminate the conditions under which they thrive.

Fungicides don't prevent anything other than fungal diseases.

oups.com...

Old 31-12-2005, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

The fungus is a symptom of poor cultural practices.
Therefore a fungicide is still only treating a symptom of the problem.

Old 31-12-2005, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Fungi are real live living organisms, you dolt, not symptoms. They infest
another organism when the conditions allow them to, usually when that other
organism has tissues that are dying.

Fungal and bacterial spores are in the environment all around us all the
time, regardless of cultural practices. That is unless you are a bubble boy,
something that would not surprise me if you are.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

While I do not endeavor to teach pigs to sing I will quote your
response stripped of it's personal attacks several times so that even
you might chance to understand.

"They infest
another organism when the conditions allow them to

They infest
another organism when the conditions allow them to

They infest
another organism when the conditions allow them to"

Change the conditions.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Doodah, doodah!!!!

All the doodah day!!!!

Sing along, Porky!!!!

Maybe if you behave yourself, they will name a fungal infection after
you?!!!!