Old 11-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Arno and Triny

Default antz

Hi everyone,

I am new to aussy and never saw so many antz in garden, the one I have are
small black ones how do you get rude of them try everything but nothing work
anyone got any luck?

Thanks.

Arnaud

Old 11-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Adam

"Arno and Triny" wrote in message . au...
Hi everyone,

I am new to aussy and never saw so many antz in garden, the one I have are
small black ones how do you get rude of them try everything but nothing work
anyone got any luck?

Thanks.

Arnaud

I use Ant Rid mostly - just put a small amount across the ant trail
and they take it back to the nest, problem solved. Generally it takes
a couple of applications over a week or so.

If you've got them around the house, Baygon Ant Foam is pretty good
for getting into small gaps. It expands after you spray it, so it
reaches into the nest pretty well.

There's also Ant Sand available that can be swept into paving cracks
etc. Not sure how good it is, as I have dogs & so can't use it.

Good luck !

Adam

Old 12-01-2004, 02:45 AM
sofarwestitsnotfunnyanymore

"Arno and Triny" wrote in message
u...
Hi everyone,

I am new to aussy and never saw so many antz in garden, the one I have are
small black ones how do you get rude of them try everything but nothing

work
anyone got any luck?

Thanks.

Arnaud

Arno,

For the native ants which come in all sorts of sizes and colours (including
some we have here in WA that are up to 4cm long and hurt like hell if they
bite you)

You won't get rid of them completely even if you "nuke" the whole property
with serious chemicals because they will move back in as soon as the stuff
wears off and you will be exposing your family to a host of nasty chemicals.

The best method outside is to move them away from the areas that are most
annoying by using boiling water down the holes in paving etc, they don't
like talcum powder either so you can sprinkle it around to discourage them.
Where you need to there are chemical powders that you sprinkle on the nests
that will move them on (this is toxic to you also so be careful where you
use it).
After that you are moving into the field of quite strong chemicals that will
give short term effect but you will have an ongoing spraying program in
place if you intend to be ant free.
If you need to adopt the major chemical aproach use a registered pest
controller to do the job as they have access to better products than you or
I can use and they will give you correct safety intsructions.

Inside the home there are products like Ant Rid (from supermarkets) that you
leave in the places that they are frequenting that they carry back to the
nest that will knock them off over a period of a couple of weeks. This
doesn't work very well outside as the liquid skins over or dries up too
quickly. There are other methods using Borax etc but the Ant Rid works
really well.
Pest controllers also have chemicals that they can use inside that work
really well but it will be more expensive.

I recomend that you learn to love them, they are clean and inspirationally
busy, they generally don't cause any major problems in the garden and most
species don't pose a real problem for humans.

In the case of the foriegn species such as Fire Ants, Argentine Ants etc
that are a real issue then bring out the big guns to clear them away then
let the local species move back in to fill the gap. If you can catch a
couple in a jar the local agriculture department will identify them for you.

Cheers

Col

Old 12-01-2004, 05:35 AM
Arno and Triny

thank you for your help.

Got a new one about 2-3 mm long with a brown colour on the back the front is
black but the back in brown.

The issue I have if they come in the ceiling and then drop dread all over
from the vent on the ceiling.

Thanks.

ARnaud

Old 12-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Martin Field

Leave them! The standard black ant that we all have (sorry, don't know its
name, probably ant antus) eats termites. Leave them there for good measure,
just in case!

Old 12-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Janet

We did have ants in the garden and in the ceiling... but I use Borax
(purchased in powder form from the cleaning dept of your foodstore)
mixed 50/50 with either strawberry jam/ honey / golden syrup (whatever
you have in your kitchen cupboard) .... and it works better than any
purchased ant killer.

Janet

Old 13-01-2004, 05:02 AM
Aaron Kearns

I used Ant Sand to get rid of my ants and it only took one sprinkle. Problem
is the ants went and I started seeing Roaches. So this summer I left the
ants alone and the Roaches have gone. So now I've just put down a surface
spray to keep them out of the house.

AK

Old 30-01-2004, 08:06 AM
China

I'm with Martin,
If they are within the building, (like in my
place), the ants are your best protection from termites.
It could also mean you are about to experience unusually good rains, as they
carry their eggs above their guess of how high the stormwater will rise (
Are they carrying eggs with them?). If you left vegimite or jamb all over
your breakfast servery then you clearly have not been here very long,
so welcome. If, (as in my place), they are building little 'castle like'
mounds in your perfectly manicured lawns, then a small sprinkle of 'Antex'
(usually the cheapest choice) from your local Bi-Lo will deal with them.
Just remember that they are also eating your flea and cockroach eggs,
cleaning up the dropped crumbs from your breakfast before the mice find
them, and telling you to clean up the garage before the rains come. I have
ants and some times they are really annoying, but I would not want to live
on a block of land where they were conspicuous by their absence.

p.s. As Harry Potter might have said - 'Use your spell checker'

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 05-02-2004, 02:42 AM
Dover3211

I've found when using borax and jam, it's best to disolve the borax in
a little hot water so it mixes in properly with the jam. The ants
around here were getting a bit smart by taking the jam home and not
the borax, with the disolved borax and jam they are'nt getting away
with a free feed.

Big Shovel Gardening
http://www.directedfocus.com.au/gardening