Old 26-03-2004, 11:58 AM
mick

Default snake in tree

Greetings to the group,

I think I may be posting to the wrong group but here goes.Today my dog
Daisy(Jack Russell) was barking and I knew from the sound of her bark there
was a snake in the back yard,she usually gets a couple of brown or whip
snakes every year but when I got out she was backing off a bit which is
unusual for her and then I saw why there was a snake that I estimate to be
at least 8 foot long.I came out of the ferns and went into a tree in my
backyard about 6 feet up and just stayed there,it is a beautiful looking
thing.I think it may have ate something because it looked like it was asleep
and I think that is what they do to digest their food.It is definitely a
phyton but I do not know what kind but what I am trying to find out is how
long it would have taken to grow that large.I am at Caloundra on the
Sunshine Coast if any one thinks they may know also what type of python it
is,

Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen,

Best Wishes,

Mick

Old 26-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Stephen Oakes

How lucky. Do you have a camera?

--
Stephen Oakes

Old 26-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Stephen Oakes

Old 26-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Trish Brown

mick wrote:

[...]

Wow! Can you get a decent look at the snake, Mick? A picture would be great, but
in the absence of that, you need to be able to say what colour the animal is,
what shape its head/nose are, whether there's an obvious 'neck' and roughly how
long/thick it is. Comments on its behaviour and the way it moves might help as
well. Lots of snakes come in lots of variable colour phases, so an accurate ID
is often very difficult by hearsay. If the snake is as big as you say, *please*
keep your little Daisy away from it! I reckon she'd be a safe bet for Mr Snake's
dinner!

I've seen a very large Diamond Python almost comatose after swallowing a rat or
bandicoot: it was barely able to move and happily allowed itself to be picked up
and moved off a busy road! Does yours have a large 'lump' in it, just past the
head? Is anyone in your neighborhood missing a small animal?

Best of luck in identifying your visitor - *do* let us know if you find out what
it is! And please try and post a picture somewhere so we can all share the
amazement! ;-D

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 26-03-2004, 06:32 PM
len gardener

g'day mick,

yep a pic would be good but for me the most common python up here is
the carpet python aka carpet snake, and it is probably in your yard
because you have a food source for it eg.,. rodents or maybe chooks,
depending on the size of the dog it could make a meal but maybe the
sanke might have to be somewhat bigger don't know?

anyhow if you do a google or something search for the above snake you
may ahve you answer. if the snake is in any danger you could ring your
local wildlife officer they have an office on the sunshine coast.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 27-03-2004, 12:05 AM
mick

Hi to the group,

Just a quick note that I have posted a photo of the snake in
alt.binaries.photos

Best Wishes to all,

Mick

Old 27-03-2004, 01:03 AM
len gardener

g'day mick,

can't find that group on my server.

i can access alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

ta

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 27-03-2004, 04:11 AM
Barbara

mick wrote:
Hi to the group,

Just a quick note that I have posted a photo of the snake in
alt.binaries.photos

There's a chappie who reads alt.binaries.ozdebate, who keeps snakes, perhaps
if you post it there he may be able to help you.
or alt.binaries.pictures.animals
some one there may also be able to help.

Old 27-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Tricia

mick wrote:
|| Hi to the group,
|| Just a quick note that I have posted a photo of the snake in
|| alt.binaries.photos
|| Best Wishes to all,

Unfortunately I can't see that group

--
Tricia

Old 27-03-2004, 09:32 PM
mick

I have had trouble posting the picture my message was posted but I also
got a message that OE had removed unsafe contents from post which I also
often get when I receive mail from others.I cannot work this out as I have
just mail the photo to my self and received it no worries and I did a virus
scan on it and it was all clear.If any emails me at

I will email them the photo,

Best Wishes,

Mick

Old 27-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Tricia

mick wrote:
|| I have had trouble posting the picture my message was posted but
|| I also got a message that OE had removed unsafe contents from post
|| which I also often get when I receive mail from others.I cannot work
|| this out as I have just mail the photo to my self and received it no
|| worries and I did a virus scan on it and it was all clear.If any
|| emails me at
|| I will email them the photo,
|| Best Wishes,
|| Mick

Email sent

--
Tricia

Old 28-03-2004, 12:34 AM
len gardener

hey tricia,

maybe when you get the pic you could post on the
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens news group??

tia

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 28-03-2004, 12:34 AM
Tricia

len gardener wrote:
|| hey tricia,
|| maybe when you get the pic you could post on the
|| alt.binaries.pictures.gardens news group??
|| tia
|| len

No worries I will (when I get it)

--
Tricia

Old 28-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Tricia

len gardener wrote:
|| hey tricia,
|| maybe when you get the pic you could post on the
|| alt.binaries.pictures.gardens news group??
|| tia
|| len

Just posted it under heading
Mick's snake from discussion in aus.gardens

--
Tricia

Old 28-03-2004, 11:16 AM
len gardener

thanks tricia,

very much appreciated

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

white snake - white snake.jpg Persephone Garden Photos 1 26-04-2007 10:54 PM
Water Snake = Grass Snake? Terry Pinnell United Kingdom 1 15-06-2005 09:11 AM
Snake--- cool snake story... Gareee© Ponds 0 04-05-2004 02:02 PM
snake in tree mick Australia 0 26-03-2004 11:54 AM
Snake Traps [safe for you & wont harm the snake] james North Carolina 0 26-04-2003 02:56 AM