Old 20-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Alec McQueen

Default Clay soil

Hi
How can I get my hands on a small quantity of clay soil to improve my
sandy soil? I only need a barrowful. I am in Hills district.
Cheers
Alec

Old 20-06-2004, 09:05 PM
len gardener

g'day alec,

don't know where the hills district is but keep a look out for someone
building a house or whatever, or if they are putting a swimming pool
in. sure to be heaps of clay that will be getting dumped.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 20-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Alec McQueen

Len
Thanks for the suggestion. Hills district is in NW Sydney.
Cheers
Alec

Old 22-06-2004, 02:09 AM
PM

Come to Canberra Alec. Bring a truckload of sandy soil, and I will swap it
for a truckload of clay soil!

Cheers,

Paul

Old 22-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Ken Oaf

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:50:00 +1000, "PM" wrote:

Come to Canberra Alec. Bring a truckload of sandy soil, and I will swap it
for a truckload of clay soil!

Chuck some gypsum on it.

Old 22-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Alec McQueen

Bit of a long way to go to get some clay! At the moment, I am thinking
of buying some modelling clay and using that! All I am planning to do is
dissolve it in water, and pour over my sandy soil to make it clump just
a bit! Peter Cundall showed it in GA one time.

I have been composting like mad, but it takes a lot of effort and long
time to get a bit of compost. I need something quick and working asap.
Alec

Old 22-06-2004, 05:07 PM
len gardener

g'day alec,

if you want to do this for the purpose of creating gardens? why not
consider raised garden beds? you don't tneed to worry so much about
your um top soil then. i think waht pc did on tv takes a few
applications to realy get it working, then if you go over board you
may end up with something like cement.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 23-06-2004, 01:08 AM
Bill McBride

The GA show used Bentonite which is a clay used for sealing dams and also
for foundry sand. If you look around foundry supply places and ask for
bentonite, or even rural produce supplies but you may need to ask for dam
sealing clay or something.

--
Cheers

Bill

Old 23-06-2004, 03:09 AM
Andrew G

If it is a little hard to find in your area, and other suggestions of asking
at building sites and such haven't worked, then all I would do is buy a few
bags of the cheapest potting mix you can find at kmart (or similar store),
and mix it in with the sand.
Even if you do add clay, you will have to add it to the sand when it's dried
out and powdered/crushed, and even then you may have to add some gypsum.
It's a cheap way with the potting mix, and works quite well
Good luck
Andrew (enjoying holidays :-))