Old 07-03-2007, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Shredded Paper in Compost Pile

I understand I can put my shredded paper (bills and that type stuff) in
the compost pile, right?
Any limitations on how much? My compost pile is newly started and I've
not composted in far too many distant years past so wanted to double check.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Goomba38 wrote:
I understand I can put my shredded paper (bills and that type stuff) in
the compost pile, right?
Any limitations on how much? My compost pile is newly started and I've
not composted in far too many distant years past so wanted to double check.

Treat it like any other "brown" component of your compost. I used to
compost newsprint many years ago by putting it through a big shredder
and then wetting it down and adding a "starter", usually animal manure.
Don't use plastic or the windows on windo envelopes. Everything shredded
in my office goes to the compost heap even today.

George

Old 08-03-2007, 10:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Goomba38 said:

I understand I can put my shredded paper (bills and that type stuff) in
the compost pile, right?

I do it all the time.

Any limitations on how much? My compost pile is newly started and I've
not composted in far too many distant years past so wanted to double

check.

Just one caution, paper is very, very carbon intense, so you should also
add an extra dose nitrogen-rich material to compensate. Lots of fresh
grass, for example, or some urea (or other high-N fertilizer).

I'd not make paper a main ingredient, but it's easy to keep on hand to
add a bit at a time. For instance, after that really rainy week when the
lawn had gotten away from you and you have an abundance of grass
clippings...

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Just one caution, paper is very, very carbon intense, so you should also
add an extra dose nitrogen-rich material to compensate. Lots of fresh
grass, for example, or some urea (or other high-N fertilizer).

I'd not make paper a main ingredient, but it's easy to keep on hand to
add a bit at a time. For instance, after that really rainy week when the
lawn had gotten away from you and you have an abundance of grass
clippings...

Thank you that gives me an idea of how to work with this resource.
I'd hate to waste it if I could use and benefit from it.
Now.. about teabags...?
Old 08-03-2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
says...

Thank you that gives me an idea of how to work with this resource.
I'd hate to waste it if I could use and benefit from it.
Now.. about teabags...?

Teabags are fine - toss 'em right in.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Old 08-03-2007, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.religion.kibology

On 2007-03-08, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Any limitations on how much? My compost pile is newly started and I've
not composted in far too many distant years past so wanted to double

check.

Just one caution, paper is very, very carbon intense, so you should also
add an extra dose nitrogen-rich material to compensate. Lots of fresh
grass, for example, or some urea (or other high-N fertilizer).

And that's free of charge.

--
The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to
chance. [Robert R. Coveyou]
Old 08-03-2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.religion.kibology

"Adam Funk" wrote

Any limitations on how much? My compost pile is newly started and I've
not composted in far too many distant years past so wanted to double

check.

Just one caution, paper is very, very carbon intense, so you should also
add an extra dose nitrogen-rich material to compensate. Lots of fresh
grass, for example, or some urea (or other high-N fertilizer).

And that's free of charge.

Shave your pubes and add some hair.

--oTTo--

GIF!
Old 09-03-2007, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.religion.kibology

In article ,
"Otto Bahn" wrote:

"Adam Funk" wrote

Any limitations on how much? My compost pile is newly started and I've
not composted in far too many distant years past so wanted to double
check.

Just one caution, paper is very, very carbon intense, so you should also
add an extra dose nitrogen-rich material to compensate. Lots of fresh
grass, for example, or some urea (or other high-N fertilizer).

And that's free of charge.

Shave your pubes and add some hair.

--oTTo--

GIF!

It's too early in the morning for this for me, maybe after aperitifs,
definitely after digestives.

I would worry about salts in the urea, especially if it is beer based.
If you have wolf based dogs, dogs with an undercoat, they will be
dumping a lot of hair right about now that can be sown/turned into the
garden. Better known as slow release nitrogen. Until it warms up, all my
hair is staying right where it is, thank you very much, and if anything,
getting longer.

- Bill

Gustibus coloribus non disputatum (mostly:-)
Old 09-03-2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.religion.kibology

On 2007-03-09, William Rose wrote:

Any limitations on how much? My compost pile is newly started and I've
not composted in far too many distant years past so wanted to double
check.

Just one caution, paper is very, very carbon intense, so you should also
add an extra dose nitrogen-rich material to compensate. Lots of fresh
grass, for example, or some urea (or other high-N fertilizer).

And that's free of charge.

Shave your pubes and add some hair.

It's too early in the morning for this for me, maybe after aperitifs,
definitely after digestives.

I would worry about salts in the urea, especially if it is beer based.

Beer-based? If beer makes up the majority of your diet, you won't be
able to get any gardening done.

If you have wolf based dogs, dogs with an undercoat, they will be
dumping a lot of hair right about now that can be sown/turned into the
garden. Better known as slow release nitrogen.

And knitting sweaters (I've seen a book on this).

--
Leila: "What if he's innocent?"
Agent Rogersz: "No one is innocent."
Old 10-03-2007, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.religion.kibology

In article ,

On 2007-03-09, William Rose wrote:

Just one caution, paper is very, very carbon intense, so you should
also
add an extra dose nitrogen-rich material to compensate. Lots of fresh
grass, for example, or some urea (or other high-N fertilizer).

Shave your pubes and add some hair. (That's oTTo bAHn for you, go figure.)

It's too early in the morning for this for me, maybe after aperitifs,
definitely after digestives.

I would worry about salts in the urea, especially if it is beer based.

(That would be me. I'm sure of it)

Beer-based? If beer makes up the majority of your diet, you won't be
able to get any gardening done.

(That would be Adam.)

If you have wolf based dogs, dogs with an undercoat, they will be
dumping a lot of hair right about now that can be sown/turned into the
garden. Better known as slow release nitrogen.

(Am I good or what?)

And knitting sweaters (I've seen a book on this).

(? That would be Adam again.)

Adam,
my man. Did you get the cork out of your breakfast already? An' wat chew
mean knitting sweaters? Dog hair sweaters? You crazy or what? Explain
yourself boy.

- Bill

Old 10-03-2007, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.religion.kibology

On 2007-03-09, William Rose wrote:

If you have wolf based dogs, dogs with an undercoat, they will be
dumping a lot of hair right about now that can be sown/turned into the
garden. Better known as slow release nitrogen.

And knitting sweaters (I've seen a book on this).

And I'm saving dog hair from a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel to mix with
Alpaca to spin into yarn.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.religion.kibology

In article
,

On 2007-03-09, William Rose wrote:

If you have wolf based dogs, dogs with an undercoat, they will be
dumping a lot of hair right about now that can be sown/turned into the
garden. Better known as slow release nitrogen.

And knitting sweaters (I've seen a book on this).

And I'm saving dog hair from a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel to mix with
Alpaca to spin into yarn.

Farm1, that's quite a handle your dog has. If you make a sweater from
the yarn, will it come with a sack of ashes?

All kidding aside, I'm glad to see people unplugging from the consumer
matrix. Do you spin and weave the hair yourself? What do dog hair shirts
feel like or will this be for throw rugs? Are there specific breeds for
weaving? (I presume that they should be long-hairs.)

Thanks for the heads-up,

- Bill
Old 12-03-2007, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.religion.kibology,rec.arts.books

On 2007-03-10, William Rose wrote:

And knitting sweaters (I've seen a book on this).

my man. Did you get the cork out of your breakfast already? An' wat chew
mean knitting sweaters? Dog hair sweaters? You crazy or what? Explain
yourself boy.

http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Dog-H.../dp/0312152906

"Knitting With Dog Hair: Better A Sweater From A Dog You Know and Love
Than From A Sheep You'll Never Meet" by Kendall Crolius

ISBN-10: 0312152906

Old 12-03-2007, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.religion.kibology,rec.arts.books

On 2007-03-10, William Rose wrote:

And knitting sweaters (I've seen a book on this).

my man. Did you get the cork out of your breakfast already? An' wat chew
mean knitting sweaters? Dog hair sweaters? You crazy or what? Explain
yourself boy.

http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Dog-H.../dp/0312152906

"Knitting With Dog Hair: Better A Sweater From A Dog You Know and Love
Than From A Sheep You'll Never Meet" by Kendall Crolius

Dog hair sweaters, when wet, smell like dog. Duh!

T.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:41:53 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:

I understand I can put my shredded paper (bills and that type stuff) in
the compost pile, right?
Any limitations on how much? My compost pile is newly started and I've
not composted in far too many distant years past so wanted to double check.

Avoid slick paper and printed colors. Slick paper has a clay seal to make it
slick and also makes it harder to compost. Color inks may contain lead.
Changes have been made in what goes into color inks to make them safer for us
and the environment.

I treat shredded paper the same as I treat oak leaves, cover them with chicken
manure. Bird droppings of any kind are high nitrogen which aids in compost of
things like paper, twigs, leaves. You may need to add some lime from time to
time to balance the pile.

For those who own chickens that spend at least part of the day in a coop, try
tossing the shredded paper/ leaves/ small twigs under the perch. This will act
as a mat to absorb chicken droppings and can be more easily moved to the compost
pile. Yes, the birds will scatter it hunting for treats. Just rake it together
when time to clean the coop.

Shredded paper mulch Wolf K Gardening 4 16-09-2006 07:05 PM
Composting Shredded Paper Droog Genzel United Kingdom 23 16-02-2005 08:53 PM
Shredded paper as mulch? Ken Oaf Australia 8 05-10-2004 10:26 PM
shredded paper for composting bill Gardening 1 24-02-2004 11:19 PM
composting shredded paper Mark Fawcett United Kingdom 8 24-12-2003 12:10 AM