Old 25-11-2004, 12:17 AM
JWSM

Default Webby Potting mix repells water

I have this problem from time to time with potting mix, especially the
mixes with a high wood fibre component. I know the infestation to be a bug,
which devours the wood producing a sticky web structure as it does. The web
repels water and subsequently the plant becomes water/nourishment starved.
It's a real pest as it spreads amongst all the pots. Repotting solves it
for a while, but the these are soon effected too.

Does anyone have any low toxic ideas to eradicate this pest? Or something
stronger that won't kill the plant and me.

Old 11-12-2004, 05:54 AM
China

G'day JWSM,
When I buy cheap potting mix I pour it out into a large pot or similar and
expose it to the elements for a week or two before I use it. This seems to
balance out any problems. Only buy mixes that have at least the minimum
'tick' of the standards people. Most of the cheapest brands have it now, but
without it some mixes can inhibit growth. You should not be getting bugs
delivered in your mix as the are usually sterilised, so maybe change brands.
Submerging the pots in water may drown them out.

China
Wingham
NSW