Old 08-03-2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose

Default Watering Tomatoes

writes:

I use aluminum foil. A single strip of shop lights isn't really wide
enough for some of my seed trays, so I run aluminum foil from the
outside of the seed tray to the outside of the shop light. Works like
charm. Some times the outer seedlings would lean toward the light, now
they stand up straight.

Thank you, Penelope. It made sense though sometimes things that "make
sense" are not effective in real situations. This is, hopefully, the year
a greenhouse gets built. I've been collecting glass for it the past two
years and have a good supply. My middle son is an engineer and is
supposed to design the greenhouse for me to utilize the glass I have
acquired. (It's surprising how many folks are discarding old windows when
we keep our eyes and ears open to notice.) His question to me was, '"Is
this for me to build or you to build?" g Doesn't he know that he might
be expected to at least help on it?!

I have a collection of mirrors that would work well for a "seedling box"
to get seedlings started indoors on the off chance the greenhouse doesn't
get built this year. Years ago, when our children were small, I was
fortunate to acquire three high-quality 3x4-foot mirrors from a motel that
was being replaced. For the next couple of decades, they were on our
living room wall (surrounded by a frame I built) as they fit perfectly
between two doors and certainly helped the room feel much larger in our
relatively small house. Since moving from that house, the mirrors have
resided in the back of a closet as there has not been a suitable place for
them. This would give them a useful life.

Question: Would you leave the mirrors straight or slightly angle them (so
larger space is at top) to direct reflected light upward? Would it even
make a difference?

Glenna

Watering Tomatoes Norman Australia 4 06-12-2004 01:15 PM
watering tomatoes wit THURSTON ACKERMAN Gardening 0 08-08-2004 11:28 PM
watering tomatoes with plastic bottles gregpresley Gardening 7 07-08-2004 04:08 PM
Self-Watering Tomatoes Barbara B United Kingdom 0 03-06-2004 12:08 PM
Drip Watering Tomatoes Fat Freddy Edible Gardening 9 27-05-2003 05:56 AM