Old 21-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Audrey

Default plants that grow in water..

Hi

My mum has an indoor plant that is a sort of vine growing all around her
lounge room, held up by hooks on the wall. The interesting thing is that
it's just growing in a tub of water, doesn't get fertilised or anything,
and it's massive! It can be propagated by just cutting a bit off at a
sort of node and roots grow from it. Does that sound familiar? Is there
any other plants that can just grow in water like that? My hubby has
pineapple tops sitting in water and they've sprung roots and are doing
great...I've also seen a white butterfly growing in pebbles in a tub of
water. Is there a good way to fertilize them, given the water isn't
usually changed? I don't know if it would be good for them to sit
permanently in a tub of soluble fertilizer...

Thanks for your help - this looks good to me, I have a very black thumb
and plants that are happy to just sit in water are right up my alley :-)

Audrey
Old 21-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Gregory Toomey

Audrey wrote:

[...]

The common climbing indoor plants include Devils Ivy (scindapsus aureus),
http://www.eiu.edu/~biology/powerpoi...iew/sld008.htm
,syngonium podophyllum http://hiloweb.com/webman/arr.html
and philodendrons
http://www.fertilizer.com/garden/hou...lodendrons.htm

I suppose any of these COULD start as a cutting in water & grow just like
with hydroponics. Make sure the water doesnt get cloudy/smelly.

I'd use a small amount of Miracle Grow as a fertiliser.

gtoomey
Old 21-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Geo Geo is offline
Registered User

Hi
If you use a soil based fertilizer for hydroponics you may have some deficiencies such as magnesium etc.

The ph may need to be lower (acidic) than normal soil growing or the plant may not be able to access some nutrients (some become unavailable due to ph)

Other than that its a great easy way to grow plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Toomey

Old 21-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Geo

Gregory Toomey Wrote:
Audrey wrote:
-
[...]

:-)

http://tinyurl.com/3u2u6
http://tinyurl.com/6zkz9

--
Geo

Old 22-03-2005, 11:23 PM
John Savage

Audrey writes:
My mum has an indoor plant that is a sort of vine growing all around her
lounge room, held up by hooks on the wall. The interesting thing is that
it's just growing in a tub of water, doesn't get fertilised or anything,
and it's massive! It can be propagated by just cutting a bit off at a
sort of node and roots grow from it. Does that sound familiar? Is there
any other plants that can just grow in water like that? My hubby has
pineapple tops sitting in water and they've sprung roots and are doing

I know what you mean, my Mum had such a plant growing in water, too.
You can sustain a length of wandering jew in water, and it will last
for a long time. It develops new leaves on the growing tip, but at the
expense of consuming the leaves at the lower end. If you let a sweet
potato go to seed, wait until the shoots develop 8 or 10 actual leaves
then peel the entire shoot off at its base and stand it in water in a
bright light. The shoot develops lots of roots, and after a few months
you plant it out in the garden. Water cress cuttings from the super-
market have no roots when you buy them, but if you stand them in water
I think they'll develop roots.

But none of these will last forever, unlike that one your Mum has. I'm
sure your pineapple top won't last forever in a bowl of water, either.

Old 23-03-2005, 04:23 AM
Andrew G

"Audrey" wrote in message
Hi

My mum has an indoor plant that is a sort of vine growing all around her
lounge room, held up by hooks on the wall. The interesting thing is that
it's just growing in a tub of water, doesn't get fertilised or anything,
and it's massive! It can be propagated by just cutting a bit off at a
sort of node and roots grow from it. Does that sound familiar? Is there
any other plants that can just grow in water like that? My hubby has
pineapple tops sitting in water and they've sprung roots and are doing
great...I've also seen a white butterfly growing in pebbles in a tub of
water. Is there a good way to fertilize them, given the water isn't
usually changed? I don't know if it would be good for them to sit
permanently in a tub of soluble fertilizer...

I would probably leave well enough alone when it comes to fertilising unless
it looks like it's struggling a little otherwise you may kill it.
The pineapple tops probably won't go on to live into a full blown plant, I
remember doing it with carrot tops at school, however your vine has lasted
this long it should go on with no troubles.
I wouldn't worry about any hydroponic fertilisers either. I know you didn't
mention them but someone may as that is the way it's growing,
hydroponically. Most hydro nutrients can alter the pH, however one, Optimum
grow, doesn't, but you can still get a salt buildup in the plant and may
kill it.
You could try the smallest amount of Miracle grow/Aquasol etc. If you did
I'd mix it at suggessted rate, then add some to the water. e.g if your plant
is in about a litre, only add a tenth of diluted miracle grow, say 100ml.
The vine is probably getting enough nutrients from the water. It is
possible, think of fishtank plants. They may be meant for the water, but
would probably grow in wet areas of soil. Your vine may be opposite, it may
be meant to grow in moist soil areas, but will handle water.
Interesting topic though.
I know when I was about 10yr old I cut off a piece of diosma (I know this as
the plants still at my parents place) put in a small skinny twisted looking
vase, and gave it to my mum. The cutting grew roots, and when it got enough
I decided to plant in.

Thanks for your help - this looks good to me, I have a very black thumb
and plants that are happy to just sit in water are right up my alley :-)

Yeah it does sound easy huh? Just leave it and enjoy it is my recomendation
Cheers
Andrew

Audrey