Old 29-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Matt Ward

Default Choice of large Bamboo in zone 5 Central Illinois

I live in east central IL and would like to grow some bamboo in a
diverse planting area. I would like it to get tall, the taller the
better since I also grow the giant grasses at this location.

What would be a good choice for an attractive plant in this zone?

Thanks Matt
Old 30-09-2005, 03:36 AM
hollenback

Matt Ward wrote:
I live in east central IL and would like to grow some bamboo in a
diverse planting area. I would like it to get tall, the taller the
better since I also grow the giant grasses at this location.

What would be a good choice for an attractive plant in this zone?

Thanks Matt

Matt
Have you seen http://www.bambooweb.info/ ? You can go to the Species list
and search for plants that have a minimum temperature less than your
expected lows then from the list you can also see photos of the bamboos to
help you make a decision.

Bill

Old 30-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Butzmark

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:23:11 -0500, Matt Ward wrote:

I live in east central IL and would like to grow some bamboo in a
diverse planting area. I would like it to get tall, the taller the
better since I also grow the giant grasses at this location.

What would be a good choice for an attractive plant in this zone?

Thanks Matt

In Columbus, Ohio I've planted Yellow Groove, P rubramarginata and P
vivax three years ago. So far the vivax has died to the ground each
winter. The rubramarginata has done the best with the yellow groove
somewhere in between. We had an ice storm last year that I think set
them back badly, though the winter was mild, temperature wise.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:47 AM
syzygy in ny

In your climate zone, you're probably limited to the phyllostachys
genus.
P. nuda is supposed to be one of the most cold-hardy bamboos around,
and good eating, too.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Russell Sheptak

Not true. There are zone 5 clumping bamboo species as well as running
ones. For example, most of the fargesia species are listed as zones
5-8. I recommend the original poster do a little homework with Google,
or start he

http://www.bamboos.com/mountain%20bamboo.html

rus

Old 06-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Matt Ward

Russell, I have been reading about the various bamboos. The reason I
asked, was that I hoped for some responses from other zone 5 folks.

I had initally settled on one of the fargesia's, but wanted some
assurance that with reasonable care it might survive here. I am looking
for accents to some of my giant grasses and center piece plants for
larger daylily beds.

Thanks Matt

Old 15-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Registered User

From a clumping perspective most of the Fargesias should be fine - Nitidia 'Eisnach' or 'Nymphenberg' are both beautiful. If you want a little more colour, then Rufus provides a nice splash of reddish brown.

If you want something more adventurous, you'll probably have to go for a Phyllostachys such as:

Bissetti - best bet but shoots taste bitter, but try the following if you fancy eating it as well:

Nuda
Propinquea
Praecox

From a decorative perspective, you might get Nigra to grow (no good for shoots), but black, brown and bluish colouration available, or perhaps vivax or aurea, or aureosulcata.

The most suitable Phyllostachys are labelled first, getting onto the more interesting ones further down the post. Ensure you consider rhizome bariers if you decide on a Phyllostachys, or plant in a tub submerged into the soil.

The beetles are back in Central Illinois Dave Gardening 0 27-06-2009 05:06 PM
Scotch pine in central plains Colorado (USDA zone 5) BillC Gardening 0 01-12-2004 05:52 PM
Best choice for a fast growing plant/shrub to hide something ugly in central Florida David Jensen Gardening 1 20-08-2003 06:12 AM
Best choice, zone 5 Tegan Bamboo 1 04-06-2003 11:20 PM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM