Old 23-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Bob Hardy

Default Phyllostachys Decora

I'm considering using decora to screen a building behind by house. I like
the form and foliage. I was wondering if it would thin so badly in my zone
6 winters that I would not really have a screening effect in the Winter.

The grove will vary between 7 and 14 feet wide. Does anyone have decora in
a cooler winter climate? What is your experience?

-------
Bob

Old 24-10-2003, 09:42 AM
hermine stover

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:09:36 -0400, "Bob Hardy"
wrote:

I'm considering using decora to screen a building behind by house. I like
the form and foliage. I was wondering if it would thin so badly in my zone
6 winters that I would not really have a screening effect in the Winter.

The grove will vary between 7 and 14 feet wide. Does anyone have decora in
a cooler winter climate? What is your experience?

-------
Bob

All Phyllostachys thin out in winter, even in Southern California,
which hardly has a winter. the leaves have to go away sometime, they
are good for only one whole season, so they thin to the point of
relative transparency, but then it is spring, and in a six week
period, more or less, they leaf out and are SOLID!

hermine

Old 25-10-2003, 08:42 AM
hermine stover

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:05:19 -0400, "Bob Hardy"
wrote:

Thanks. Do you think a semiarundinaria might be more of an evergreen?

-------
Bob

i have compiled a chart of low temperature tolerances on my website
which is at http://www.endangeredspecies.com

these temps are not cribbed from books, they come from actual HUMAN
SUBJECTS who have reported back to us their growing conditions.
Semiarundinaria fastuousa is evergreen, to be sure, except that it
must lose last year's leaves and grow a new set, but it normally tries
to time this to avoid nudity. the branches and branchlets are so
numerous, so thick, that the plant does not go transparent in winter,
also the canes, they are usually very close to each other, making for
a substantial screen even in winter.

herm