Old 02-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Martha Fifield

Default [IBC] Rooting Hormone

I would like to try Hormex rooting powders #8 and above but I cannot find a source to purchase these from. Have anyone of you tried these powders? If so, have you had any success? Does anyone know where I can purchase Hormex rooting powder in #8 and above?
Thanks!
Martha
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Zone 10

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Kitsune Miko

Mellinger's

--- Martha Fifield wrote:

I would like to try Hormex rooting powders #8 and
above but I cannot find a source to purchase these
from. Have anyone of you tried these powders? If so,
have you had any success? Does anyone know where I
can purchase Hormex rooting powder in #8 and above?
Thanks!
Martha
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Zone 10

++++Sponsored, in part, by Kevin
Bailey++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 02-08-2005, 08:51 PM
Brent Walston

Martha

Just go Google, and type in Hormex rooting and you will get a bunch of
hits, here is just one:

http://www.gtghydroponics.com/store/0-0-280.htm

Mellingers does have it, but their web catalog is really the pits, I
couldn't manage to find anything there. You could email or call them and
order or request a print catalog.

I have been using Hormex powders for over twenty years, they work well
and are relatively inexpensive. I propagate commercially, but not as
much as I used to. I have bought it by the pound, but you can also buy
it in convenient 3/4 oz bottles. They make a nice little kit with #16,
#30, and #45 in these small bottles for about $12 to $15. The most
important thing about using hormones is knowing the correct strength for
the species you are propagating.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

Old 02-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Kitsune Miko

YES BUT.....how do we know which hormone is to be used
in what circumstance???

Kits

Old 02-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Brent Walston

Kits

Just ask! I've learned a few tricks for most bonsai species over the
last two decades.

OR

Bite the bullet and get a copy of Dirr's and Heuser's Reference Manual
of Woody Plant Propagation. I have an ancient copy that is falling apart
it is so well thumbed. If I don't know the answer, I will look it up for
you.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

Old 03-08-2005, 01:12 AM
Jim Lewis

Brent Walston wrote:

OR

Bite the bullet and get a copy of Dirr's and Heuser's Reference Manual
of Woody Plant Propagation. I have an ancient copy that is falling apart
it is so well thumbed. If I don't know the answer, I will look it up for
you.

Available "new" from www.abebooks.com for $37.00 and well
worth the money. ($35.00 used.)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we
see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to
use it with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County
Almanac

Old 03-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Ethan Smith

Since we are on the subject of rooting and I am new to woody plant
propagation I'd like to ask a stupid question.

I took some cuttings of a Taxus and a Picea Pungens (for future
landscape use) 9 weeks ago. They seem to be taking root because there
is resistance when lightly tugged on and they are still the same color
/ shape and seem to be alive 9 weeks later. However my dog jumped over
my flat with the cuttings in it and knocked one Taxus out of the tray,
I thought "well that one is a goner" so I inspected it for any signs
of roots.

I didn't really see any roots per se but I did notice some white
cloudy stuff at the base of the cutting. But I'd say it looked retty
devoid of anything that I know as a root. So if there are no roots how
are they still alive, or are these roots just sooo fine that they got
destroyed when Lucy scampered by?

thanks a bunch,
-Ethan

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Brent Walston

Ethan

Chances are none of these have rooted yet. The white is callus tissue.
It is the precursor to roots and a good sign. It is also a good sign
that the cuttings look alive and healthy. They can live for a very long
time from stored food in their tissues as long as they can get water,
either from mist on the leaves or by absorption from the media up the
stem. As long as they aren't heat stressed, it doesn't take very much
water to keep them alive. I don't believe I have ever rooted Taxus since
I don't grow it, but I have rooted Picea pungens and it takes a very
long time. It may be rooted by next summer.

This leaves the question of what to do with the cuttings over the
winter. I leave mine outside in a protected area, still shaded and I
make sure that they don't get dry and that they don't fall below about
25F. These two conifers probably can get colder than that, but if you
can keep them above 25F you may get some rooting or more callus
formation over the winter. I have kept Crataegus, hawthorn, cuttings
alive like this for over three years while waiting for them to root.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

zone 8 N. CA

Old 03-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Ethan Smith

Brent, thanks for the info, I've been thinking about these cuttings
and the coming winter I'm in zone 5 Columsbus Ohio and the winter last
year was brutual. It fried my Kinsgville Boxwood in a cold frame! And
if extreme cold didn't wreak enough havok on plants then a few weeks
of 50 degree temp flucuations in the spring did. So I will pay close
atention to these little guys, I only have two flats of them so it
shouldn't be a big deal. I've been misting them twice a day and they
are in a nice shady spot.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

rooting hormone query Xi Wang Orchids 3 09-03-2005 12:43 AM
rooting hormone query Xi Wang Orchids 0 08-03-2005 02:33 AM
Hormone rooting compound ? Sla#s United Kingdom 2 03-02-2005 09:40 PM
rooting hormone WiGard Gardening 5 01-02-2004 02:46 PM
Shelf liife of rooting hormone Franz Heymann United Kingdom 26 24-08-2003 05:03 PM