Old 03-08-2005, 05:59 PM

Default [IBC] Help on Pond Cypress

I just noticed a problem on a pond cypress. There are several firm,
gall-like white with a little light green growths wrapped around the stem that also
encase some of the leaves. When I searched for problems with pond cypress,
every link I looked at said there were no pests or problems. Can anyone help
me with this. I am posting a picture. Tried for a close up and it may be
too close up as it looks somewhat fuzzy. It is not....more smooth and firm to
the touch.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Carol in S. Florida, Zone 10

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-08-2005, 08:56 PM
Jim Lewis

I just noticed a problem on a pond cypress. There are several firm,
gall-like white with a little light green growths wrapped around the stem that also
encase some of the leaves. When I searched for problems with pond cypress,
every link I looked at said there were no pests or problems. Can anyone help
me with this. I am posting a picture. Tried for a close up and it may be
too close up as it looks somewhat fuzzy. It is not....more smooth and firm to
the touch.

It's not a "problem" in the sense that your tree is in
danger. Those _are_ galls, and are caused by tiny (almost
microscopic) midges. They do little damage. The leaves
from the gall to the tips will turn brown and die, as if the
gall "chokes off" fluids from reaching the end of the leaf.
Just remove and destroy the leaf. Another leaf will
replace it.

We have had these up in North Florida Bald Cypress for years
now, but they seem to be moving south. Yours is the second
"attack" of these I've heard of from down there.

There seems to be no way to prevent them and, like all gall,
nothing to do about them but remove them when they appear.

I have a 45-foot-tall BC in my yard that gets covered by
these every summer. It is healthy as can be. Our County
Forester says they're spreading all over the south and
there's nothing to be done about 'em.

There is a clear picture of them on
www.internetbonsaiclub.org. Click on Galleries, click on
the Not Necessarily Bonsai forum, then choose the top topic
-- Pests, etc.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --