Old 13-04-2003, 05:20 AM
audgen

Default [IBC] Bald Cypress chop timing

Hello,
I recently bought a Bald cypress that is just starting to come out of it's dormancy. My original plan was to plant it (very soon) in the ground for one or two years to fatten up the trunk before I did the first trunk chop.( over 6 feet tall right now). Bu
t, a lot of new buds have started to grow within the first foot of it's trunk, right where I would need them to form after I chop it. What should I do about these? Should I rub them out and continue with my plan? Or is it important that I take advantage of
them now and go ahead and do the chop?
Thanks for any help!
Audgen (zone 7)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 13-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Jim Lewis

In a message dated 4/12/2003 11:44:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Hello,
I recently bought a Bald cypress that is just starting to

come out of it's
dormancy. My original plan was to plant it (very soon) in the

ground for
one or two years to fatten up the trunk before I did the

first trunk chop.(
over 6 feet tall right now). But, a lot of new buds have

started to grow
within the first foot of it's trunk, right where I would need

them to form
after I chop it. What should I do about these? Should I rub

them out and
continue with my plan? Or is it important that I take

advantage of them now
and go ahead and do the chop?
Thanks for any help!
Audgen (zone 7)

Audgen,
Go ahead and chop it now. Do not rub the new buds outs, but do

not panic if
some get rubbed off during the trunk chop operation, they will

bud again from
these same points.

Then, let them grow untouched all summer. Next year, choose a
branch near the top that can make a new header and tie or wire it
upright. You can then select and prune the other branches if you
wish, or leave them to grow and help the trunk fatten.

You may have to chop 2 or 3 times more, depending on what you're
looking for as a BC bonsai.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Our life is
David Thoreau - Walden