Old 09-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Alejandro Bedini

Default [IBC] bonsai in 200 years more and another question

Hi all
What do you think the bonsai art in two hundred years more.
How about pot, bonsai style, etc.

by the way, this november all the professional bonsai in Argentina South america
will be a congress with the principal objetives is to create a group of
professionals whom the guides of the schools develop and an organism that
registers the Bonsai professionals.
I know in Italy has one similar organization who register the professional in
bonsai...another country?

Best Wishes and many thanks
Alejandro
Chile SA

Este email fue enviado desde la UTFSM: https://mail.usm.cl/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Pauline Muth

BCI has set up a teacher registry world wide on its web site. All artists
in the world
are welcome to register there. There is no fee for basic information but
any artist can
put in an ad with additional information for a fee.

Pauline F Muth Zone 4 West Charlton NY USA
www.pfmbonsai.com

What do you think the bonsai art in two hundred years more.
How about pot, bonsai style, etc.

by the way, this november all the professional bonsai in Argentina South
america
will be a congress with the principal objetives is to create a group of
professionals whom the guides of the schools develop and an organism that
registers the Bonsai professionals.
I know in Italy has one similar organization who register the professional
in
bonsai...another country?

Best Wishes and many thanks
Alejandro
Chile SA

Este email fue enviado desde la UTFSM:
https://mail.usm.cl/

****
****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Scooter the Mighty

Alejandro Bedini wrote:
Hi all
What do you think the bonsai art in two hundred years more.

I think some of my bonsais will just start to be looking good about
then.

How about pot, bonsai style, etc.

I don't think there will be any more change than in the last 200 years,
unless people start genetically manipulating the plants with their
futuristic home gene-jockey kits.

by the way, this november all the professional bonsai in Argentina South america
will be a congress with the principal objetives is to create a group of
professionals whom the guides of the schools develop and an organism that
registers the Bonsai professionals.

Cool!

Old 10-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Carl Morrow

Dear All

Scooter the Mighty wrote:

I don't think there will be any more change than in the last 200 years,
unless people start genetically manipulating the plants with their
futuristic home gene-jockey kits.

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote:

Hopefully not too different. Maybe some new species, new techniques.
To me Bonsai is about tradition not change.

Bonsai has transformed itself a number of times in the past two hundred
years and, as with all art, it will continue to change following fads
and fashions as it goes.

I don't have my references at hand but a look through the text section
of "Classic Bonsai of Japan" and and the history section of Korreshoff's
"Bonsai; its art science history and philosophy" will show how it has
developed over the past while.

Previously, pots were deeper, more "plant pot" like and ornate with
fancy coloured glazing while the more grotesque and fancy the tree the
more highly it was valued.

The 5 basic styles that we know and seem to love so much were only
really formalised 40 years ago by Yoshimura and Halford (The Japanese
Art of Miniature Trees and Landscapes). Nowadays artists are asserting
their own "Regional styles" as seen by Charles Ceronio in South Africa,
Nic Lenz in the US, Colin Lewis with some of his plantings and many
others around the planet.

The development in quality in the past twenty odd years has been
unprecedented, the "perfection" and extreme refinement seen in Japanese
trees with every needle (let alone branch) carefully positioned is
remarkable and very much in vogue at the moment. In years to come this
may well swing again to a more natural, wild look that allows the tree
to exhibit its own personality rather than looking like a textbook.

Thirty years ago deadwood was somewhat understated and little worked.
Kimura revolutionised this by creating the most fantastic deadwood
sculptural masterpieces using all sort of interesting power tools
previously unavailable to bonsai artists. This became a major fad with
statements such as "EVERY bonsai should contain deadwood" coming from
highly respect artists. (As a personal opinion, I am struck by how
dated some of the designs in "Bonsai art of Kimura" now look. Has
anybody else noticed this?)

Deborah Korreshoff sums this up with the following quote:

"One thing that we can say for certain about the future is that it will
not stay quite the same as it is now, or has been in the past. New
artists will come along, horticulturists will be born with fresh new
thoughts and so new advancements will be made. Yet there is much to be
said for the hobby as it is practised today. Fresh new ideas must
merge, not clash, with the conservative ones, for it is in this
evolutionary way that the good practises of old are preserved alongside
the best new thoughts."

My first contribution to this list, and a bit of a rant at that(!), but
I do think that it is important that we appreciate where we have come
from and realise that the present will soon become history.

Carl Morrow
Cape Town, South Africa.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 10-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Jim Lewis

Carl Morrow wrote:

Bonsai has transformed itself a number of times in the past two hundred
years and, as with all art, it will continue to change following fads
and fashions as it goes.

I don't have my references at hand but a look through the text section
of "Classic Bonsai of Japan" and and the history section of Korreshoff's
"Bonsai; its art science history and philosophy" will show how it has
developed over the past while.

If you have a series of Kokufen catalogs dating back several
years, the evolution of bonsai styles is clear.

[...]

With any luck it will. Walter Pall's "Naturalistic Style"
is a step in that direction.

Thirty years ago deadwood was somewhat understated and little worked.
Kimura revolutionised this by creating the most fantastic deadwood
sculptural masterpieces using all sort of interesting power tools
previously unavailable to bonsai artists. This became a major fad

Yeah. Bonsai by Mixmaster.

snip

My first contribution to this list, and a bit of a rant at that(!), but
I do think that it is important that we appreciate where we have come
from and realise that the present will soon become history.

And a good one it was, Carl (if only because I agree with
you 100%) :-). Welcome to the IBC -- and keep on
contributing.

The Sport of Bonsai needs more "wolves" making trees to keep
the "sheep" from taking over. :-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of
nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the
berries are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

Old 10-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Marty Haber

Good thoughts, Carl. Coming from Cape Town, you must be aware of the
growing preference for the "round crown" style for some tropical and
semi-tropical trees. Also the "flat top" style found on accacias. Here in
the States we have swamp cedars and buttonwoods which have their own
distinctive styles. It would never do to try and make a buttonwood look
like a pine growing in a mangrove swamp! Thanks for your input.
Marty Haber

Old 10-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Kitsune Miko

I've got to put in a "me too" note here.

All forms of art change and evolve, bonsai is no different. I got to see Kimura do a demo. His work was very careful and quite traditional, yet he has the ability to trancend the classical form as well.

Bonsai styles differ by region even in the USA, let alown the whole globe. Use to be that you had pines and maples, now you have baobob trees, casuaria, ficus, and many others requireing their own stylilng that is totally unlike a pine.

There is the recent drive out her to cut the flowers off azaleas and use their strength instead to develop shape. Why not just do a pine instead? I like my flowers.

Do you need to be a slave to current trends or can you invent your own?

I hope to see many more changes and eveloution in bonsai horticulture and styling techniques. I like the idea of painting with trees.

Kitsune Miko

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++