Old 21-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Educational Dispaly for Bonsai Exhibit

The Bonsai Society of Brevard (County, Florida) has reached an agreement with
the Brevard Zoo to incorporate a Bonsai exhibit in the Zoo. The plan is for
the exhibit to be an ongoing thing, using member trees that are placed on a
rotating basis.
The Zoo wants to do a lot of promotion around this and we are looking at a
November launch

Another retired teacher and I have been asked to prepare an educational
materials that could be displayed outside along the paths to the exhibit for the
grand opening.
The educational material will need to be large enough for people to see,
weather proof and not too technical.

The Miami Club has an exhibit that I have seen during their fall show at
Fairchild Gardens. However, ours will probably have to be entirely flat with
pictures, art and text.

I am open to suggestions from the list as to the entire project, from what
information to include to the physical materials used.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-08-2005, 02:12 AM
Kitsune Miko

One of the educatinal exhibits I did was composed of
several plants invarious stages of development. I
used a japanese maple and a pine. I had a one gallon
stock plant of each, a first styling, one with some
age and one well aged and developed specimen. They
were all labeld as to age, It was a good visual of
what happens to a tree to make it a bonsai.

Kits

--- "Billy M. Rhodes" wrote:

[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by Kevin
Bailey++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 21-08-2005, 04:18 AM
Alan Walker

When I was in Miami for BCI's 2001 convention, Bonsai on
Board, I had a chance to visit the exhibit of the Miami Bonsai
Society at Fairchild Gardens. They had a wonderful educational
exhibit. I imagine they would be flattered if you wanted to use
it for inspiration, Billy.
For a permanent, ongoing exhibit it will not be practical
to have a high maintenance live plant educational exhibit, so
photos, text, and possibly video (in an interactive kiosk?) will
probably be a good plan.
I just scrolled down and saw that you've already looked
at the Miami exhibit, but you might want to consider the other
ideas.
Alan Walker

One of the educatinal exhibits I did was composed of several
plants in various stages of development. I used a Japanese maple
and a pine. I had a one gallon stock plant of each, a first
styling, one with some age and one well aged and developed
specimen. They were all labeled as to age, It was a good visual

Old 21-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Jim Lewis

Alan Walker wrote:
When I was in Miami for BCI's 2001 convention, Bonsai on
Board, I had a chance to visit the exhibit of the Miami Bonsai
Society at Fairchild Gardens. They had a wonderful educational
exhibit. I imagine they would be flattered if you wanted to use
it for inspiration, Billy.
For a permanent, ongoing exhibit it will not be practical
to have a high maintenance live plant educational exhibit, so
photos, text, and possibly video (in an interactive kiosk?) will
probably be a good plan.

We (the Tallahassee club) borrowed the S. Florida exhibit
for the show this spring (I posted pics on the gallery) and
it was a big success and garnered many comments and compliments.

I'd use a permanent exhibit of a selection of bonsai pots --
mame, medium, large, various shapes and depths -- examples
of a bonsai soil (most people ohh and ahh at the coarse
soil, some tools, etc.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature