Old 22-08-2005, 05:00 PM
John Dhom

Default info req: Torro

Per post a week or so ago I got a nice, but somewhat neglected, juniper from
a friend. The juniper had a significant ant infestation (and other). I gave
it an overnight soak and then treated it with Ortho Home and Garden. This
significantly reduced the problem(s). Last inspection I only found a few
ants. I will continue to monitor the tree closely.

Someone [local] recommended Torro for controlling the remaining ants. Are
there any potential dangers using Torro in bonsai? Looks like a syrup bait
the ants feed on and carry home.

--
Best,
John

Nashville area
Zone 6, Sunset 33

Old 22-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Jim Lewis

John Dhom wrote:
Per post a week or so ago I got a nice, but somewhat neglected, juniper from
a friend. The juniper had a significant ant infestation (and other). I gave
it an overnight soak and then treated it with Ortho Home and Garden. This
significantly reduced the problem(s). Last inspection I only found a few
ants. I will continue to monitor the tree closely.

Someone [local] recommended Torro for controlling the remaining ants. Are
there any potential dangers using Torro in bonsai? Looks like a syrup bait
the ants feed on and carry home.

1. Read the label
2. If the label's not clear (probable), experiment on a
tree you're not too fond of.

I've never heard of "Torro" and think it would be better
used to get rid of pestiferous bulls.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Jim Lewis

Or lawn tractors.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-08-2005, 07:46 PM
John Dhom

Terro ant killer... http://www.terro.com/antkiller.php BTW, how long can an
ant hold its breath?

Says it's made from Borax and is low toxicity. You put a couple drops on a
little piece of cardboard. Worker ants eat it and take it back to colony
(queen/larva). For "sweet eating" ants.

I bought some to try around windows and on patio.

Best,
John

Old 22-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Scott Roberts

Hmm..could this also be used for potential yamadori?
I have two possible candidates in the ground which
are guarded by their own colonies of ants. Borax
itself is reasonably cheap but I don't know if it
would work by itself.

Cheers
Scott R

"John Dhom" wrote in message

Someone [local] recommended Torro for controlling

the remaining ants. Are
there any potential dangers using Torro in bonsai?

Looks like a syrup bait
the ants feed on and carry home.

--
Best,
John

Nashville area
Zone 6, Sunset 33

++++Sponsored, in part, by Kevin
Bailey++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 22-08-2005, 10:06 PM
John Dhom

Their marketing propaganda [basically] says it's borax in a sweetened
liquid... think borax syrup They also make outdoor traps that will hold
a LOT more than what I'm using. I'd think the outdoor traps would be much
better suited to [protecting] yamadori.

--
Best,
John

Nashville area
Zone 6, Sunset 33

. yahoo.com...

Old 22-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Jim Lewis

John Dhom wrote:
Their marketing propaganda [basically] says it's borax in a sweetened
liquid... think borax syrup They also make outdoor traps that will hold
a LOT more than what I'm using. I'd think the outdoor traps would be much
better suited to [protecting] yamadori.

Borax (Boric acid) is another of the old-time insect
killers. It is used primarily for silverfish, roaches and
ants. It can and does burn grass when applied along
sidewalks so I would be careful putting it near the rots of
your bonsai.

Old 23-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Alan Walker

Borax acts as a desiccant on these insects. It dries them up.
It's pretty safe for humans.

Alan Walker