Old 26-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Jim Lewis

You are all invited to look at
http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/BigPict...positions.html
for the latest word on when the earliest large display of
bonsai took place outside of Asia.

snip

And I further refer you to Robert's full exposition on the
History of Bonsai. It represents an amazing amount of work
and dedication on his part. Go he

http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/BonsaiHistory.html

I truly hope that this work exists somewhere that is more
permanent than a web page. It would be a shame if some
electronic disturbance (or some other disaster) caused this
work to vanish.

I know better than to assume it would make a salable book --
or at least a money-making book -- but it would be nice if
it had a permanent home like that.

Well done, Robert! And thanks to the Phoenix Bonsai Society
for hosting it.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we
see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to
use it with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County
Almanac

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Bob Pastorio

Jim Lewis wrote:
wrote:

For whatever reason 1909 was chosen and from whatever source it came,
that date was then repeated down through the years in probably scores of
books and articles. And hundreds of websites currently.

True of more than a few "facts" repeated in bonsai "texts" over the
years. If an author doesn't "know" something himself (or herself) he
(or she) simply re-states what someone _else_ wrote. (Probably true in
other fields, as well.)

I'm a food writer and have found it to be the same sort of thing here.
John Thorne, a considerable writer, says that food writers are "thieving
magpies all" and it's true. Why do original research when it says right
here that...?

All those errors of earlier writers become the orthodoxy and it's very
difficult to get people to consider that what they "know" isn't so.

I've done an annual radio program for the past 17 years on "What you
know that just ain't so" and every year, I get heated calls telling me
that what I just said is wrong because the caller's mother/aunt/grannie
only did it that way for 30/40/50 years and it always worked. And it was
the best way to do it, even if they never tasted any other versions of
it. Actual research be damned...

Pastorio

Old 30-08-2005, 07:15 PM
dalecochoy

Robert,
I want to thank you for this.
The info was very interesting, but also interested me in a non-bonsai way.
I saw the highlight for the 1939 san Francisco Expo so clicked on it and
brought up the hundreds of thumbnails for pics of Treasure Island expo. In
1970-71 I had spent about a year at Treasure Island while in the Navy. their
advanced electronics schools were there, plus the electronics schools
specifically for the south Viet Namese students . I knew the island was from
the World Fair but that was all. The only artifact that I remember
remaining in any form ( that I saw in walks around the island) was one of
the tiled fountains, half filled by blowing sands.
The base is no longer open there, and I have no idea what will become of the
man-made island in the bay. Perhaps it will just sit empty ala Alcatraz.
But, You gave me a look at "My Home" for a year that I'd never seen.
Thanks,
Regards,
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

word on when the earliest large display of bonsai took place outside of
Asia.

Cordially,

Robert J. Baran
Bonsai Historian

outside of Colorado Springs, CO
Sunset Zone 2A-2B/USDA 5A-5B

Old 30-08-2005, 08:12 PM

You are very welcome. As I've been finding out more and more while doing
research for 19 years on our hobby/art, bonsai and the related arts
are/have been all around us -- not just in our backyards or in the usual
exhibition halls.

dalecochoy wrote:
Robert,
I want to thank you for this.
The info was very interesting, but also interested me in a non-bonsai way.
I saw the highlight for the 1939 san Francisco Expo so clicked on it and
brought up the hundreds of thumbnails for pics of Treasure Island expo. In
1970-71 I had spent about a year at Treasure Island while in the Navy.

their
advanced electronics schools were there,

** snip **

But, You gave me a look at "My Home" for a year that I'd never seen.
Thanks,
Regards,
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com

http://mail2web.com/ .

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++