Old 07-10-2005, 02:15 PM

Default [IBC] Ficus in Winter

In a message dated 10/7/05 12:01:50 AM, Ethan writes:
I recently picked up a couple Ficus benjamina 'Kiki' from our local club.
This person with the ultra healthy Ficus keeps them outside in Ohio until
all the leaves fall off. According to him this is well into November, and you
can bet these trees see frost. She then brings them in without leaves and puts
them in the corner of her living room to rest until spring.
It was my assumption that since they are true tropical they can grow all

year long no problem.

As others have surmised, the Ficus belonging to the person in Ohio are
undoubtedly F. carica, the edible fig, which is a temperate species. Ficus benjamina
& the other species grown for bonsai are tropicals. I bring them indoors in
the fall when night temperatures go below 45 F, & put them out in May after
danger of frost (at that point in Central NY, night temperatures go up pretty
fast). I have found that tropical figs can stand occasional excursions into the
thirties, but too much will weaken them.
I visited a bonsai grower in Israel (probably Zone 9) who did not have any
indoor winter facilities. He was growing F. benjamina and occasionally had
frost. It did not kill the tree, but caused leaf drop & some branch dieback.
See my previous message on what to do with 'Kiki' during the winter. I am
impressed with this cultivar. Has anyone had real experience with it?
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-10-2005, 03:17 AM
Jay Sinclair

I've got a couple of forests grown from cuttings. They are quite
easy- apically dominant, but bud back fairly well, as Craig & Billy
point out. The only thing I don't like is that they grow large
storage roots which need to be pruned away. I've had trouble putting
my forest back together properly after root pruning them - I end up
cutting away so much that there are hardly any roots left. It doesn't
seem to faze the trees a bit- they are pretty tough, but it's hard to
position & secure them in the pot.

Jay Sinclair

On Oct 7, 2005, at 9:14 AM, wrote:
snip

See my previous message on what to do with 'Kiki' during the
winter. I am
impressed with this cultivar. Has anyone had real experience with it?
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++