Old 29-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Dierama dieback

About half my young dierama plants (grown from seed) died right back over
the winter, and there is still no sign of them. I dug one up, and there
does seem to be a small but healthy corm there - but it's doing nothing!

The ones that stayed green over the winter are putting out new leaves and
look very healthy.

Are the died back corms likely to recover, or should I chuck the ones in
pots and overplant the places where the ones in the ground were ?

There seems to be no relation between position/planting/compost and plants
that vanished over the winter.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 29-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 206...
About half my young dierama plants (grown from seed) died right back over
the winter, and there is still no sign of them. I dug one up, and there
does seem to be a small but healthy corm there - but it's doing nothing!

The ones that stayed green over the winter are putting out new leaves and
look very healthy.

Are the died back corms likely to recover, or should I chuck the ones in
pots and overplant the places where the ones in the ground were ?

There seems to be no relation between position/planting/compost and plants
that vanished over the winter.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

I find that when I pot on the germinated seedlings of Dierama that if I over
pot them they die off, and subsequent care of the small plants is tricky as
they are prone to frost damage untill in the open ground, but if you put
them out small you are likely to never see them again! If you need more seed
for next year get in touch I usually have loads of both D. pulcherrimum and
D. pendulum. In the mean time I would almalgamate all the corms that are not
growing in one pot and wait and see.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 29-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 206...
About half my young dierama plants (grown from seed) died right back over
the winter, and there is still no sign of them. I dug one up, and there
does seem to be a small but healthy corm there - but it's doing nothing!

The ones that stayed green over the winter are putting out new leaves and
look very healthy.

I find that when I pot on the germinated seedlings of Dierama that if I over
pot them they die off, and subsequent care of the small plants is tricky as
they are prone to frost damage untill in the open ground, but if you put
them out small you are likely to never see them again!

Mine were sown when they ripened late last summer, germinated over
winter in the cold frame, and are still in their sowing-pot looking very
healthy. I'm planning to keep them in the pot until I absolutely have to
slide them into a larger one, and plant them out as a clump once they
have reached a good size.

If they survive that, my plan is to divide the clump in a year or two.
So here's the question..is this a good idea, or do established dieramas
object to disturbance?

Janet
Old 30-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
[...]

That is certainly a good way of getting them going, leaving them alone
until large enough to go out. I have never tried splitting them as they are
so easy from seed (although of course its pot luck with colours) as there
are named forms which must be splits, it should be possible to divide them.
They are looking stunning just at the moment :~)

Old 30-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Victoria Clare

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

If you need more seed
for next year get in touch I usually have loads of both D.
pulcherrimum and D. pendulum.

Thanks for the offer!

I do have 5 healthy plants left and growing well (they are pulcherrimum,
and according to Chiltern, supposedly 'Blackbird' seedlings, though whether
they will come up the right colour, who knows...).

That's probably enough for now given that my garden isn't over-endowed with
sunny areas to plant them in.

In the mean time I would almalgamate all
the corms that are not growing in one pot and wait and see.

I will do that.

Victoria

Old 30-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:59:40 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

[...]

I successfully moved clumps of three types of dierama this spring. But
I was conscious that they didn't like being disturbed, so I just dug
out the whole block of soil (a spade's width and depth) and replanted
it. They never knew they'd moved. I imagine if you need to divide a
clump, digging it up as a block and then severing it cleanly down the
middle with a sharp spade would probably be OK. You may lose some of
the plants adjacent to the cut, but some should survive. I've done
this successfully with Aristea Ecklonis, apparently another reluctant
divider. Of course, the clump needs to have grown big enough to do
that in the first place.

--
Chris

Old 30-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes

If they survive that, my plan is to divide the clump in a year or two.
So here's the question..is this a good idea, or do established dieramas
object to disturbance?

I have been told they do not like root disturbance (
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.