Old 09-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] evil squirrels!

-----You guys!!!!!! I un-subscribe, move, re-subscribe, and you're
still talking about squirrels!

I only have 5 bonsai to fuss over: two figs, a natal plum, the
osteospermum, and an olive. All the rest are at Spring Training Camp
in Harford County, where coach Anita Hawkins is teaching them about
sleet and hail.

Anyway, I am now officially a tree pathologist, so forget all that
nonsense I told you before (when I was a vegetable pathologist). Oh,
and I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help........

N. Shishkoff
USDA-ARS-FDWSRU
Fort Detrick, MD

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Theo

HI Nina
few years ago I sent you a drawing of a plastic bottle home made green house for
cuttings
Do you remember?
Theo

Old 09-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Rich Conley

yes, but it is now defined as reproductive isolation in an equal competition
setting. IE given normal numbers of females of each group, and one male, if he will
only breed with the same color form, they are considered seperate species as they
are different genetic groups. As time goes, they get further and further genetically
from each other....

The rules of speciation have changed drastically in the last 10 years, mostly to
deal with the African Cichlid Fishes in the rift lake regions. (active speciation is
happening in these lakes, as they are relatively new bodies of water ~5000 years).
What has been decided is that the fact that a species CAN NOT breed with another
bears no relevance...it is whether this breeding happens naturally in the wild.

For example, many species of bird are cpaable of breeding with birds in different
GENUS. It just does not happen, so they are considered different species...

Most Canines can cross breed (wolves, dogs, coyotes, etc.) yet they are considered
different species because they dont. My point is, reproductive isolation can be
voluntary, not just a lack of the mechanisms to breed.

"David J. Bockman" wrote:

I'm pretty certain the unequivocal definition of a species is 'reproductive
isolation'.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

Evil Green Algae Chris Tondreau Ponds 4 12-06-2003 05:20 AM
evil kudzu. griffon Gardening 6 19-05-2003 01:32 PM
evil squirrels! Doonemd Bonsai 1 26-03-2003 06:56 PM