Old 01-04-2003, 04:44 AM
chris

Default [IBC] Zelkova Seeds

Wanting to build brooms the hard way, I recently bought 2 packages of Zelkova seeds to start this spring. After referencing Peter Chan I was under the the impresion that this species didn't need to be stratified before planting. However, when the package
arrived it stated that they needed to be put in the fridge for 90 days. This would cost me a good portion the short growing season here in Vermont. As I have two package I'll probably attempt both, but was wondering what you all thought best?

thanks,

Chris
Charlotte VT
Zone 4/5, more on the 4 side this winter!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 01-04-2003, 01:56 PM
kevin bailey

I get good germination rates without stratifying. It may be to do with
the freshness of the seed. Doing brooms this way is a really long term
project though.

Good luck

Kev Bailey

Chris wrote,
Wanting to build brooms the hard way, I recently bought 2 packages of
Zelkova seeds to start this spring. After referencing Peter Chan I was
under the the impresion that this species didn't need to be stratified
before planting. However, when the package arrived it stated that they
needed to be put in the fridge for 90 days. This would cost me a good
portion the short growing season here in Vermont. As I have two package
I'll probably attempt both, but was wondering what you all thought best?

Charlotte VT
Zone 4/5, more on the 4 side this winter!

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++