Old 07-04-2003, 05:08 PM
William

Default need some help

Hello
New to bonsai and I need some help.

A friend dug up a California juniper in his back yard the other day
and brought it to me in a bucket filled with sand and potting soil.

I hosed it down and now I am unsure what to do.
I would like to ensure the survival of the tree.
It didn't have many roots other thanthe large one that was severed.
I do have some of that root hormone.. should I put that on it?
should I keep it in a pot?
bury it in some cactus mix soil?

Can someone give me some tips on how to keep the plant alive?
Thanks for your help

William

Old 07-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Shelly Hurd

William,
Well you started with one of the most difficult trees you could. I have had
success (and failure) with these in straight sand. I would recommend
something that is more coarse and drains better. Wash the roots off
completely. Cover everything you can with root hormone. Do not let the
roots dry out, and plant as quickly as you can (I use a mix of Shultz soil
conditioner (2 parts) and Vermiculite (1 part). Place the tree in an area
the receives morning sun and shade the rest of the time for at least a
month. Protect from wind. Do nothing to the foliage while the tree
recovers from the transplant. Careful with water - the Persiano Pick method
will help here (in the archives - or ask if you can't find it). These
plants grow according to how their roots grow, cutting roots will cause
areas of the upper foliage to die if the cut root was the one supporting
that growth area, so don't despair if you see some die back, just be
patient.

Good luck.
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9