Old 12-01-2005, 05:24 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

Default [IBC] Concerning a Bald Cypress trunk chop

I've never grown bald cypress, so my answer may be way off in the left field

Last Question: If I make the cut in February (Or later, pending advice),
can the top be salvaged (and treated like a cutting) to establish a

second
tree?

How about doing an air layer where you want to trunk chop? This would allow
you to get roots established on the top before you chop, hence dramatically
increasing your chances of success, I would think. Not sure how well BC
likes air layering, or how long it takes. Might be too late to reasonably
expect roots on an air layer by mid to end of February. I don't know, but
it's worth a think of three I would think

Cheers

Nic

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++