Old 20-02-2003, 11:51 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] ****The apostrophe

Folks, I've shuddered and TRIED to bear it, but I can't any
longer.

THE PLURAL IS NOT -- HARDLY EVER (see below) -- INDICATED BY AN
APOSTROPHE! It is Serissas, NOT serissa's. It is web sites, not
web site's. It is bicycles, not bicycle's. It is bonsai not
bonsai's (bonsai is both singular and plural).

I don't know who started this style of spelling on the internet
(you seldom see it anywhere else - tho it is on at least one
billboard in Tallahassee!), but if I ever find him (or her)
he/she is toast!

Apostrophes (note: no apostrophe) are used to:

1. Indicate the possessive: Jim's bonsai. Bush's idiocy.
2. Show that a word is a contraction -- I won't take it any
longer. I can't!

They are NOT used to indicate the plural (which means, more than
one of something).

The ONLY time apostrophes (note: no apostrophe) MAY be used in a
plural is in plurals of NUMBERS: 1's, 2's 3's etc., and
Plurals of acronyms and initials: as in PC's (though, many folks
(Yours truly included) eschew this use and just say PCs) (and
[less often] 1s 2s and 3s, for that matter).

But anyway, please have mercy on this simple soul. Forget the
apostrophe as an indicator of plurals (NOT plural's)! I'll
sleep better, un-invaded by dreams of armies of apostrophes being
put into forced labor for things they're not supposed to be
doing.

For the grammar and punctuation challenged among us, I can highly
recommend "Woe is I" by Patricia T. O'Connor (another legitimate
use for the apostrophe), Grossett/Putnam Publishers, 1996. It's
fun to read -- and very educational. For those who merely want
to learn punctuation, I can recommend even MORE highly: "The New
Well-Tempered Sentence, a Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent,
the Eager, and the Damned" by Karen Elizabeth Gordon, who, in
addition to being a good writer, is a beautiful lady. It is
published by Ticknor & Fields. 1993.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-02-2003, 12:15 AM
Patrick Alexander

Jim Lewis wrote:
Folks, I've shuddered and TRIED to bear it, but I can't any
longer.

THE PLURAL IS NOT -- HARDLY EVER (see below) -- INDICATED BY AN
APOSTROPHE! It is Serissas, NOT serissa's. It is web sites, not
web site's. It is bicycles, not bicycle's. It is bonsai not
bonsai's (bonsai is both singular and plural).

I don't know who started this style of spelling on the internet
(you seldom see it anywhere else - tho it is on at least one
billboard in Tallahassee!), but if I ever find him (or her)
he/she is toast!

It's generally heard this referred to as the `greengrocer's
apostrophe', in reference to signs advertising `potato's', `green bean's',
and the like. It's at least a pre-net thing... I'm sure you could learn
more than you ever wanted to know in the archives of alt.usage.english.
Also, one thing to add here--the singular of species is species. The
plural of species is species. `Specie' is not a word...

Patrick Alexander
Old 21-02-2003, 01:51 AM
oldehippie

"Folks, I've shuddered and TRIED to bear it, but I can't any
longer.

THE PLURAL IS NOT -- HARDLY EVER (see below) -- INDICATED BY AN
APOSTROPHE! It is Serissas, NOT serissa's. It is web sites, not
web site's. It is bicycles, not bicycle's. It is bonsai not
bonsai's (bonsai is both singular and plural).

I don't know who started this style of spelling on the internet
(you seldom see it anywhere else - tho it is on at least one
billboard in Tallahassee!), but if I ever find him (or her)
he/she is toast!"

......And it is though, or although, not tho. hee hee J/K

This has bothered me for a long time as well. I usually read a bit to
decide if they had a special on apostrophes, like use two, the third is
free, or something like that.

If the writer come off seeming dumb I generally don't read them any more.
If it is some weird glitch in their typing process I often overlook it, but
it still is bothersome.

I thank you so much for pointing out this odd use of the apostrophe, and
pointing it out so well.

Olde Hippie

--
to reply direct remove number from addy

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will"
"I prefer to perambulate to the tempo of a different percussionist"
"Stupidity is believing much, while understanding little"
....Charles A. Meyers

Old 21-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Jim Lewis

In terms of organisims you are correct. However, "Specie" is
the term for
the currency we spend.

Well, ONLY if it is a coin. Paper money isn't specie. ;-) And
in an older meaning, specie had to be a gold coin.

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 21-02-2003, 03:55 AM
oldehippie

"Well, "though" has had its alternative spelling of "tho" since
way back in the 15th century (and the OED hints that it may go
back to the 11th Century). And it's a heckuva lot more sensible
way to spell it. ;-) "

I think it may precede the 15th century but not by a lot. Methinks it
became more common during some of the Renaissance and Shakespeare writing
eras.

I've always been a fan of words, spoken or written. I also like the
sillyness of some such as
Gallagher's comments on "bomb" "tomb" and "comb".

Bill

Old 21-02-2003, 02:15 PM
akrummel

Well folks
I'm new to this list and have few credentials to qualify me as an expert
in any field.
However, I do have opinions and here is one.
The education system in the U.S. is in rapid decline. Young people are
being taught to express their ideas regardless of the grammer and
puntuation. This has led to the decline in the proper use of the mother
tongue.

The misues of their, there, they're; the misues of to, too, two; total
lack of punctuation; these are all annoyances.

But isn't this forum for the exchange of ideas and knowledge? Please
don't scare off people who may have a unique answer to a particualr
problem I might have. I would rather have someone write:

"My neighbor's keep there trees in a 50-gallon drum filled with gasoline
to. Them trees is green as grass"

Than have them not express this interesting solution to fungus gnats.

Oh, you also might notice in future emails and postings that I don't use
captalization. This is a carryover from the old newspaper reporter's
habit when sending internal memos. It created too many keystrokes on
those old manual Royals. I blame it on them.

Art Krummel

Old 21-02-2003, 04:15 PM
dalecochoy

Old 21-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Neal Ross

I agree, but Eubonics is politically correct and if you go up against the PC
crowd you are labelled insensitive. What I do is read everything my son
writes and make him correct any errors in grammar and remove any slang words
I find. My english isn't the best but I do the best job I can. He hates me
for it, but in the end it will be to his benefit.

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA

Old 08-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Theo

IT is like Spaghetti .. "I" ending is already plural the singular is
SpaghettO no S the same with Gnocchi (pl) 1 gnocco singular, Fetuccina
/pl: e and Serissa at plural ( many plants of serissa should be SerissE!
But the world goes like this

Theo

apostrophe/s cineman United Kingdom 2 14-03-2006 12:14 AM
[IBC] ***** [IBC] Was [IBC] ADMIN: sloooow - added Holiday Care Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-08-2003 06:22 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 1 27-02-2003 11:25 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 4 27-02-2003 09:20 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM