Old 24-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] crabapple species?

Would anyone know what species wild crabapple would be? I collected a
couple in an abandoned pasture in Maine a couple of years ago, and would
be interested in finding out the botanical name.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Luke Tulkas

"Craig Cowing" wrote in message
Would anyone know what species wild crabapple would be? I collected

couple in an abandoned pasture in Maine a couple of years ago, and

would
be interested in finding out the botanical name.

I suggest you use http://plants.usda.gov/ , select Scientific name and
search for malus. Everything that starts with Malus is your candidate.
Take a look at the pictures (incl. distribution) and you'll probably
find it.

Old 24-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Would anyone know what species wild crabapple would be? I
collected a
couple in an abandoned pasture in Maine a couple of years ago,

and would
be interested in finding out the botanical name.

There aren't any native crabapples from Maine, so it is MOST
likely to be the common apple, Malus sylvestris (AKA, M.
pumila -- or 'wild apple'). I suppose it could be an escaped
crab, but that seems extremely unlikely.

Jerry Stowell's "The Beginner's Guide to American Bonsai" covers
apple bonsai in some detail.

With all the collecting you do, Craig, you Really, Really need to
get a good tree ID book for the N.E. U.S.A..

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Craig Cowing

Jim Lewis wrote:

Would anyone know what species wild crabapple would be? I

collected a
couple in an abandoned pasture in Maine a couple of years ago,

and would
be interested in finding out the botanical name.

There aren't any native crabapples from Maine, so it is MOST
likely to be the common apple, Malus sylvestris (AKA, M.
pumila -- or 'wild apple'). I suppose it could be an escaped
crab, but that seems extremely unlikely.

Jerry Stowell's "The Beginner's Guide to American Bonsai" covers
apple bonsai in some detail.

With all the collecting you do, Craig, you Really, Really need to
get a good tree ID book for the N.E. U.S.A..

David Thoreau - Walden

I have one--Audubon Society. It's good, but doesn't cover everything.

I was thinking it might be a sub-variety of the common apple, but wasn't
sure.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

Old 24-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Iris Cohen

Would anyone know what species wild crabapple would be?

I should think an avid collector like you would have a field guide. The most
common species in the Northeast is Malus coronaria. However, there are other
species around, so you need a good monograph to be sure. Also, an abandoned
pasture might have all sorts of exotic species from apples that the cows ate.
To learn about crabapples, get Father Fiala's book.
By the way, the danger of collecting a whole tree is that you will get borers.
it may be more judicious to take an air layer. Thet is what I wish I had done.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 24-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Luke Tulkas

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
Would anyone know what species wild crabapple would be? I

collected a
couple in an abandoned pasture in Maine a couple of years ago,

and would
be interested in finding out the botanical name.

There aren't any native crabapples from Maine, so it is MOST
likely to be the common apple, Malus sylvestris (AKA, M.
pumila -- or 'wild apple'). I suppose it could be an escaped
crab, but that seems extremely unlikely.

According to http://plants.usda.gov those apples can be found in Maine:
Malus baccata (Siberian crabapple)
Malus prunifolia (plumleaf crabapple)
Malus pumila (paradise apple)

Old 24-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Jim Lewis

There aren't any native crabapples from Maine, so it is MOST
likely to be the common apple, Malus sylvestris (AKA, M.
pumila -- or 'wild apple'). I suppose it could be an escaped
crab, but that seems extremely unlikely.

According to http://plants.usda.gov those apples can be found

in Maine:
Malus baccata (Siberian crabapple)
Malus prunifolia (plumleaf crabapple)
Malus pumila (paradise apple)

None of which are native.

Old 24-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Luke Tulkas

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
According to http://plants.usda.gov those apples can be found

in Maine:
Malus baccata (Siberian crabapple)
Malus prunifolia (plumleaf crabapple)
Malus pumila (paradise apple)

None of which are native.

Craig asked for a name not whether the tree is native. The fact that he
found it on a pasture could as well mean that it is one of the
non-native ones. That's why I said that everything Malus was a candidate
in the first place. Those three are just more likely candidates.

Old 24-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Craig Cowing

Luke Tulkas wrote:

Craig asked for a name not whether the tree is native. The fact that he
found it on a pasture could as well mean that it is one of the
non-native ones. That's why I said that everything Malus was a candidate
in the first place. Those three are just more likely candidates.

I looked at the leaves again, and I think it is Malus sylvestris. The leaves match
perfectly. What I didn't know was if a wild crabapple could be of this species, or
a different one. It definitely is a crabapple though. The apples on the ground
when I collected it were small and crabby.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Luke Tulkas wrote:

Craig asked for a name not whether the tree is native. The

fact that he
found it on a pasture could as well mean that it is one of

the
non-native ones. That's why I said that everything Malus was

a candidate
in the first place. Those three are just more likely

candidates.

I looked at the leaves again, and I think it is Malus

sylvestris. The leaves match
perfectly. What I didn't know was if a wild crabapple could be

of this species, or
a different one. It definitely is a crabapple though. The

apples on the ground
when I collected it were small and crabby.

Which they also are on a feral domestic apple. ;-)

Old 24-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Craig Cowing

Jim Lewis wrote:

snip
I looked at the leaves again, and I think it is Malus

sylvestris. The leaves match
perfectly. What I didn't know was if a wild crabapple could be

of this species, or
a different one. It definitely is a crabapple though. The

apples on the ground
when I collected it were small and crabby.

Which they also are on a feral domestic apple. ;-)

David Thoreau - Walden

Ok, I didn't know that. So, should I call it an apple or crabapple? It doesn't
make any difference to me. What would be most accurate?

Old 24-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Anita Hawkins

Craig Cowing wrote:

...So, should I call it an apple or crabapple? It doesn't
make any difference to me. What would be most accurate?

Call it "Malus" (no more syllables than "apple).

If pressed for specifics, "Malus species"

Accurate and true

With Malus towards none, and crabapples for all,

Anita
--
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
"I like winter trees against the sky, I said.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++