Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-02-2003, 05:15 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] An interesting tree and great stylist

I'm finally getting caught up on magazine issues of all my subscriptions. Isn't that what Winter is for? I was reading through the Bonsai Today # 76 yesterday and the Marc Noelanders article on pg 25 really caught my eye.
First, I must admit that I'm often un-impressed during demos when a speaker takes a FANTASTIC Mother-nature styled, centuries old, collected yamadori ( which may already be established into a shallow pot) and while talking adds a little wire to a couple b
ranches, clips off a couple twigs, and carves a tiny bit and then steps back to receive the applause. Most of us have seen this although they might not say so.
I AM impressed when someone takes a discarded piece of crappy stock and turns it into a beautiful tree. A teacher I spent quite a bit of time with , Keith Scott, was one of those guys. I was often amazed at what he could turn junk into. Wonderful.
One of his common sayings which I've "stolen" is "Sometimes the magic works....and sometimes it doesn't"

The tree in this article ( BT76) was a stock juniper that I , thruthfully, wouldn't have given $5 for. I almost skipped through the article.The final styled tree is amazing, especially considering that his intended top died off 3 months after starting, ca
using him to re-think the style. I have seen Marc in programs and always thought he was pretty darn good and the magazine articles and book shots are always great, but this one really suprised me.
Now, I've not seen this tree in 3D and have no idea of it's health now, but...the styling is indeed superior ( IMO) from the stock supplied. I would use the term "Kimura-ish" but I believe that would take away from Noelanders' ingenuity. I'd be glad to
work in his garden anytime!
Regards,
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++