Old 24-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Neal Ross

Default [IBC] Bougainvillea root pruning

How hard can you prune back a Bougys roots and not kill it when root pruning collected material. My wife has given me one and it has been in a 5 gallon pot for about 8 years. I know the roots are going to be a mess and I was just curious. It is starting to
break bud now so I figure it is just about time to try and get it into a training box. While I have your attention, should I also cut back hard on the top growth to balance things out for the loss of rootage?

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 27-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Luis Fontanills

In a message dated 2/24/2003 8:46:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

How hard can you prune back a Bougys roots and not kill it when root pruning
collected material. My wife has given me one and it has been in a 5 gallon
pot for about 8 years. I know the roots are going to be a mess and I was
just curious. It is starting to break bud now so I figure it is just about
time to try and get it into a training box. While I have your attention,
should I also cut back hard on the top growth to balance things out for the
loss of rootage?

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA

Bougainvillea can be pruned to a stump and roots will emerge from the buried
portion of the trunk. If you are going to do a severe root pruning also cut
off all the leaves, during an active growing phase (Spring). It should be
kept warm in a humid environment (plastic tent if the ambient humidity is not
70% or more) and kept in bright light. The planting medium should be well
draining but retain moisture, especially in this phase to encourage root
growth. Bury at least 2 or 3 inches of the trunk in the medium to insure
sufficient roots.

Goodluck!

Luis Fontanills ( The Bougy Man ;-)
Miami, Florida USA