Old 20-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Mark Hill

Default [IBC] Wedgie ?? (was: root pruning and one sided growth)

Thanks for the useful azalea info Jim.

I have a few 15 year old azalea's in my garden that must be removed because
of my wife's landscaping plans.

Should I consider giving them a "wedgie" as soon as the flowers are
finished, bare root them, perform the wedgie, plant them in a large pot in
bonsai soil, give them minimal sunshine and no fertilizer ?

How about pruning the foliage?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd rather not loose them !!

Mark Hill - Central PA - Zone 6

...... giving your tree an occasional "wedgie" is often the right thing to

do.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Thanks for the useful azalea info Jim.

I have a few 15 year old azalea's in my garden that must be

removed because
of my wife's landscaping plans.

Should I consider giving them a "wedgie" as soon as the flowers

are
finished, bare root them, perform the wedgie, plant them in a

large pot in
bonsai soil, give them minimal sunshine and no fertilizer ?

How about pruning the foliage?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd rather not loose them !!

Mark Hill - Central PA - Zone 6

I've never grown azalea in Central PA or in Zone 6, so . . .
grain of salt and healthy skepticism and all that . . .

Bare root them. You probably will find that even 15-year-old
plants still have a rootball that is very slightly larger than
the pot they probably came in originally. (That's why azalea do
so well in bonsai pots.) There will be old soil and a lot of
fibrous roots and root remains (assuming the azalea are all
healthy). Get rid of all of that. You will end up with what
looks like a tiny amount of big root. Cut away all that grow
straight down, that cross others, etc. and you will have even
LESS. Plant these in the equivalent to a 15-gallon nursery pot
that has been cut down to about 8 inches deep. Use a soil that
is a good MIXTURE of coarse material and sphagnum peat (or manure
compost). Some Rootone (from a newly opened package!) on the cut
ends of the remaining roots will help. Cut the tops back at
_least_ by 1/2 ALWAYS leaving some green.

Keep the soil on the damp side of moist, and keep the plants in
the shade (heavy to medium). Some morning sun will be OK in
about 3 weeks. You can fertilize in a few days. 20-20-20 at
this stage of their new life. Follow the label. You should see
some new growth in a couple of weeks (or even sooner). Do not
touch them (foliage or roots) for 2 years other than to rub off a
bud that forms where you KNOW you won't need one. However, if
budding is scanty, you should even save these.

The plants will need _real good_ winter protection the first
year; after that, you're on your own regarding potted azalea in
your climate.

Good luck, and if ALL the azalea don't need to come out this
summer, you might want to experiment.

David Thoreau - Walden