Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Wisteria on gallery

I've posted a couple of pics of wisteria I've been training since
the early 90s. They're on the gallery. I post them mostly to
launch a discussion of blooming. Neither of these has ever
bloomed. Both are root sprouts from a large wisteria I keep in
tree form in my yard and that booms prolifically every year.

Both are new to these pots (last year for the larger one and this
spring for the smaller) so I have not expected blooms this year.

I've read that to get wisteria to bloom the roots must be:

1. Rootbound, or
2. Cooler than the leaves (i.e. kept in the shade while leaves
have sun), or
3. Very wet, or
4. Fed with a low-nitrogen fertilizer, or
5. Fed with a high-nitrogen fertilizer, or
6. Nearly all of the above (4-5 excepted)

Over the years, various combos have been tried, to no avail.
Both of these were sizeable plants when removed from the ground.

So, add your suggestions to the list -- please.

You potters might take a look at the modern pot the smaller
wisteria is in. Info on the potter (who is in the N.C.
mountains) is on the gallery. I really like the pot. It is
6-sided, in case that's not clear in the photo. There are 3
feet.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --