Old 07-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Theo

Default Help :A monster in my maple

Hi
This is a crazy story
I bought 10 days ago a maple in supermarket nursery either a
Saigen or a Beni shitani no tag with name, nice trunk, a lot of work to
do in time as badly cured .
2 days ago I noticed a little pile of a material looked fluffy
same color as dry akadama
I touched it looked like woodden dust ;as I clened some decayed
wood previously it did not surprise me too much but still.. .. so
I wanted to be sure I looked around the place and cleaned and waited ..

Today again same pile and it was MOVING so I tried to grab what was
inside no way ,I took a file a thin long one for goldsmith ( rat tail
is called) and chased the host inside the wood in a straight tunnel 2"
deep !!!!! ( I could not fo further with the file if it was making a
curve)
unpotted the tree and sow around a root a lot of compressed wood I
cleaned it all than took my file found another direction gallery (
upward the trunk but could not really go very deep .. I took a glass put
some copper sulphate mix with water added 1 drop of Veralin D that
kills many sleeping larvaes ( I hope this host too) and jnjected in
the hole of the trunk , pumped in and out until I sow it sprinkling
out from another hole another place.. upper in the trunk.

What in the hell is it ? and if anyone knows, what is it and how
kill it if it might be still alive?

I hope the product does not harm the tree from the inside, normally
should not on the outside as to be sprinkled before budding..
The Maple was very alive when I bought and It , the Host might have
been in there since few months to dig so deep inside the wood .

Pleeeease I need advices
thanks
Theo
--
How can You put trust in me if I do not trust in Me?
Theo

Old 07-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Bungalow Bill

Can't help you, but I have some questions that I'd like to see
addressed by anyone kind enough to answer your post:

1) Would pouring an oil (vegetable or some other specific oil)) into
the hole have driven out the pest?

2) It seems like the infestation was limited in the number of pests.
Given that the tree is for bonsai and still in a container, was an
insecticide really necessary?

3) Is the tree still viable for long term bonsai? Won't the burrowed
hard wood no be likely to rot and the tree eventually collapse in on
itself?

Old 07-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Theo

Hi Bill

Bungalow Bill wrote:

Can't help you, but I have some questions that I'd like to see
addressed by anyone kind enough to answer your post:

1) Would pouring an oil (vegetable or some other specific oil)) into
the hole have driven out the pest?

2) It seems like the infestation was limited in the number of pests.
Given that the tree is for bonsai and still in a container, was an
insecticide really necessary?

well I went later inside the hole with a plastic covered cable I could
find 3 tunnels of about 2 " each it makes more or less7inch tunnels plus
what I could see around the root the bark does not look affected even if
in some places is separated by the underneath wood by these compressed
wood dust

3) Is the tree still viable for long term bonsai? Won't the burrowed
hard wood no be likely to rot and the tree eventually collapse in on
itself?

I do not know were I sure the host is dead I could try to inject some
sealing wax inside
the trunk diameter in that level must be about 3 inches
Thanks
Theo