Old 15-05-2003, 04:08 PM
dgdgdg

Default Copper wire for bonsai styling?

Hi,

Is copper wire in 1.5mm to 2.5mm suitable for wiring branch styles? -
its a lot cheaper than the bronzed aluminium sold for styling, but
would it corrode on the tree and damage it?

Thanks

Andrew

Old 15-05-2003, 07:08 PM
John Jones

"dgdgdg" wrote in message
Hi,

Is copper wire in 1.5mm to 2.5mm suitable for wiring branch

styles? -
its a lot cheaper than the bronzed aluminium sold for styling,

but
would it corrode on the tree and damage it?

Unless you're a lot more experienced than me (4 yrs), I'd
recommend spending the extra money for the aluminium wire.

Copper has to be annealed and is harder to bend. I've done a lot
more damage to my trees with copper than I ever did with
aluminium.

Wire can be re-used (NB: I'm not advising that you un-wind the
wire from the branch, in fact, don't do this), but there are
times aluminum wire can be recovered and reused without having to
anneal it. Copper *must* be annealed before you can use it
again.

My 2 cents, FWIW.