Old 25-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Hung Le

Default [IBC] Juniper Jin and Shari

I hope one day to turn my Shimpaku,Kishu, Itoegawa into something with a
lot of jins and Sharis. I alway admire those pitures of juniper trees from
Bonsai Today. Some with the almost paper thin wood and two veins running up
the tree. Are those natural Jin and Shari or not ? or it had been carved
out when the trees are young ? What techniques to use in order to achieve
the look of those trees ?

John Naka said" You are chicken....I am chicken .....NO Bonsai"
I had been sliced 3/4 of the trund and some braches and gave a little twist
before wiring to achieve the bare wood and veins. I am also aware the
techniques would slow down the growth of that tree but do not know other
techniques.
Do you think the bare wood will get bigger with time or not ?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Jim Lewis

I hope one day to turn my Shimpaku,Kishu, Itoegawa into
something with a
lot of jins and Sharis. I alway admire those pitures of juniper

trees from
Bonsai Today. Some with the almost paper thin wood and two

veins running up
the tree. Are those natural Jin and Shari or not ?

These days, 90% not.

or it had been carved out when the trees are young ?

NOT when the trees were "young." The carving is done when the
tree is at the size that the designer of the bonsai wants it to
be. Once live wood is removed, that part of the tree is
effectivly dead; except in the movies, dead is dead.

What techniques to use in order to achieve the look of those

trees ?

If you have Bonsai Today to look at, it is the chief spokespub
for heavily sculpted trees, and descibes and illustrated the
technique in excruciating detail.

Colin Lewis' "The Art of Bonsai Design" describes some more
rational carving techniques and results.

John Naka said" You are chicken....I am chicken .....NO Bonsai"
I had been sliced 3/4 of the trund and some braches and gave a

little twist
before wiring to achieve the bare wood and veins. I am also

aware the
techniques would slow down the growth of that tree but do not

know other
techniques.
Do you think the bare wood will get bigger with time or not ?

No. See above.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Onc Shari Baby 'Sweet Fragrance' V_coerulea Orchid Photos 2 19-01-2007 03:33 PM
[IBC] Jin [email protected] Bonsai 1 06-05-2005 06:13 PM
[IBC] Ficus with Jin Steven Wachs Bonsai 3 06-05-2005 02:19 PM
Ficus with Jin Tiziano Bonsai 3 04-05-2005 07:04 PM
Shari's Petal & Ponds ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 4 12-04-2005 03:40 AM