Old 05-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Steven Wachs

Default [IBC] Ficus with Jin

I do not think Ficus would establish a nic looking jin. Wood is too porous.
it would probably wouldn't hold up. I do not like jin anyway. looks like you
stuck the tree in a pencil sharpener

SteveW
Long island NY

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Alan Walker

At BCI 1998 in San Juan, PR, Ferrand Bloch did a
demonstration on a large Ficus. I recall my skepticism about the
jin he left on the tree. Does anyone know how it has fared since
1998? Any photos?
Alan Walker

Old 05-05-2005, 10:57 PM

I saw the most amazing natural jin today! I was visiting a freind's
lakehouse in northeast Texas and there was a live oak that had been
struck by lightning and there were smaller branches, obviously grown
after the top trunk had died, branching up to one side of it. There was
also some pretty ivy covering the lower third....i nearly melted.
Partly cause the weather was hot, and partly becaust the tree was so
nifty. I wish i'd gotten pictures, but my freinds thought I was weird
enough already.

Old 06-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Jim Lewis

I saw the most amazing natural jin today! I was visiting a freind's
lakehouse in northeast Texas and there was a live oak that had been
struck by lightning and there were smaller branches, obviously grown
after the top trunk had died, branching up to one side of it. There was
also some pretty ivy covering the lower third....i nearly melted.
Partly cause the weather was hot, and partly becaust the tree was so
nifty. I wish i'd gotten pictures, but my freinds thought I was weird
enough already.

Jin, particularly on lower branches, are quite common on the southern
live oak - Quercus virginiana. It comes from the branches being shaded
by the canopy. Unlike other broad-leaved trees a live oak's jin can
last for many, many years. The wood was used for the keels of large
sailing ships back in colonial days and rots slooooowly.

You shouldn't worry about what people "think." (Just be glad they do --
it's rare these days.) All us bonsaiests are certifiable, anyway.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature encourages
no looseness, pardons no errors. Ralph Waldo Emerson

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

When to make a jin Tiziano Bonsai 4 08-06-2005 04:37 PM
Jin Tiziano Bonsai 4 01-06-2005 06:46 AM
[IBC] Jin [email protected] Bonsai 1 06-05-2005 06:13 PM
Ficus with Jin Tiziano Bonsai 3 04-05-2005 07:04 PM
[IBC] Juniper Jin and Shari Hung Le Bonsai 2 25-05-2003 02:08 PM