Old 30-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Kev Bailey

Default [IBC] Ok To Chop Japanese Maple?

If healthy, Maples can be cut back to a leafless stump and they will
burst buds all over the place. The problem is usually that there are too
many new ones. Selectively remove buds from the wrong locations by
rubbing them out early and you avoid scars later.

Use a very fine toothed saw and then a very sharp knife blade, chisel or
concave cutters to get a clean edge on any wounds.

Despite the feelings of many on the list I use wound sealant on some
trees and maples are one where I find that a clear Japanese sealant or
Unibond or other Latex based glue works very well. No scientific testing
but many observations lead me to believe that there's less drying around
the cut, better bud breaks and faster callusing of large wounds with a
seal.

They _usually_ break buds very close to the top, if not at the very top.
I would normally only leave an inch extra at most.

Good luck

Kev Bailey

Do you think the leaf/root balance won't be too out of balance?

Also, I fear I won't get a bud anywhere near where I chop. Should I
leave some inches of safety by chopping well above where the new leader
should be, or should I chop exactly where I want it?

Thanks,

JIm

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] vine maple chop Roy Bohn Bonsai 1 14-03-2005 03:07 AM
[IBC] Post Chop Maple Buds Jim S Bonsai 3 21-06-2003 09:56 PM
[IBC] Trunks - to chop or not to chop Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 13-04-2003 02:44 PM
Trunks - to chop or not to chop James Quinan Bonsai 0 13-04-2003 08:44 AM
[IBC] beech trunk chop? to chop or not to chop....that's the question.... Sam Williams Bonsai 1 08-04-2003 04:08 PM