Old 14-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Roy Bohn

Default [IBC] vine maple chop

This has been covered before but I would like some clarification. I would
like to chop a vine maple. When is the best time to do so, before the leaves
open or after they have hardened off in the spring? Here in central
Pennsylvania my maples are starting to show some activity.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-03-2005, 03:07 AM
MartyWeiser

Roy,

How well established is the tree on its roots? If it is well established do
it just as the buds come out so all of the root energy goes into the new
buds below the chop. If it is not was well established, then let it put out
solid leaves to strengthen the roots and then chop. Brent has a good
article on trunk development at Evergreen Gardenworks with more details
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm.

Marty

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++