Old 25-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Ficus religiosa with hygiene problem

My Bo tree is indoors at my office, where it is doing surprisingly
well. However, the leaves are coated with sticky beads. There are
no aphids, scales or mealy bugs (the usual culprits when plants get
sticky) and the stickiness is not restricted to the hydathodes
(marginal leaf pores), where you would see guttation if the plant was
having trouble transpiring. So I have no idea what this is. Has
anyone ever seen this in a Ficus?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Iris Cohen

My Bo tree is indoors at my office, where it is doing surprisingly well.
However, the leaves are coated with sticky beads. BRBR

You need to look at the relationship among fertilizer, light, growth rate, and
humidity. The tree is disposing of excess sugar. Unlike diabetic humans, in
trees it is a sign of health. My Grewia becomes completely coated with
"leaf-shine" when it is on a roll. If the tree were outside, you would never
notice it because it would be washed off by rain. Many epiphytes are sustained
by this sugar water in the tropics.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 25-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Jim Lewis

My Bo tree is indoors at my office, where it is doing
surprisingly
well. However, the leaves are coated with sticky beads. There

are
no aphids, scales or mealy bugs (the usual culprits when plants

get
sticky) and the stickiness is not restricted to the hydathodes
(marginal leaf pores), where you would see guttation if the

plant was
having trouble transpiring. So I have no idea what this is.

Has
anyone ever seen this in a Ficus?

Top or bottom? Or both sides?

(And maybe that's why it's called "religiosa"??????????) :=/

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++