Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ficus religiosa

Anyone know where this can be found in UK? We've had an enquiry for one but
I hd to tell the customer that not only do we not have it, I cant' see
anyone in the Plant Finder who does. He does want the tree, not seed.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-02-2009, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote ...
Sacha wrote:
"Martin" wrote:
Sacha wrote
Anyone know where this can be found in UK? We've had an enquiry for
one but
I hd to tell the customer that not only do we not have it, I cant' see
anyone in the Plant Finder who does. He does want the tree, not seed.

I can't find anybody selling it in UK or the Netherlands either.

Thanksfor hunting, Martin. I think it's Indian in origin, or in use,
religiously.

It's referred to as Indian Rubber Plant, Banyan Tree and gawd knows what
else on
websites, however if you look those up it is always a different ficus.
On the Kew website or a site linked to it, it says can only be grown
inside in
UK, needs heat and grows to be very large, available in some garden
centres!

It's known as the Bo Tree and is sacred to Buddhists as it's the tree Lord
Buddha sat under when he reached enlightenment. Lord Buddha was an Indian
Prince. Also sacred to Hindus and Jains (Jain being a contemporary of
Buddha).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_fig

I understand it's sometimes sold as a House Plant but I would think perhaps
a Buddhist group may be able to point you in the right direction.

Chiltern sell the seeds.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-02-2009, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/2/09 14:13, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote ...
Sacha wrote:
"Martin" wrote:
Sacha wrote
[...]

Thanks, Bob. I read about it, too and the history is certainly interesting.
Unfortunately, the would-be customer doesn't want the seeds, he wants an
actual tree and going by his name and the enquiry combined, I think it
probable he's a Buddhist himself. I think he has probably exhausted all the
UK possibilities and will have to look abroad.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 3/2/09 14:13, in article , "Bob
Hobden"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote ...
Sacha wrote:
"Martin" wrote:
Sacha wrote
[...]

I think there is a Canadian Nursery that has it and will ship worldwide.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/2/09 16:24, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:
snip

I think there is a Canadian Nursery that has it and will ship worldwide.

He said he was going to hunt around abroad, so I'm sure he'll come across
that.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Thanks, Bob. I read about it, too and the history is certainly interesting.
Unfortunately, the would-be customer doesn't want the seeds, he wants an
actual tree and going by his name and the enquiry combined, I think it
probable he's a Buddhist himself. I think he has probably exhausted all the
UK possibilities and will have to look abroad.

If it's not a matter of jam yesterday, perhaps he would contemplate an
offer to cultivate one from seed for him?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...
, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:
snip

I think there is a Canadian Nursery that has it and will ship worldwide.

He said he was going to hunt around abroad, so I'm sure he'll come across
that.

This may be somewhere to start....

http://www.ficusforever.com/site.php...=ficus&lang=uk

They don't list it but they are a Fiscus only group of Dutch Nurseries.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
"Bob Hobden"wrote:
"Sacha" wrote ...
, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:
snip

I think there is a Canadian Nursery that has it and will ship
worldwide.

He said he was going to hunt around abroad, so I'm sure he'll come
across
that.

This may be somewhere to start....

http://www.ficusforever.com/site.php...=ficus&lang=uk

They don't list it but they are a Fiscus only group of Dutch Nurseries.

I started there. )

Did you e-mail them to ask if they had any hidden away?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-02-2009, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from beccabunga contains these
words:
'Rusty_Hinge[_2_ Wrote:
;829051']The message
from Sacha contains these words:
-
Thanks, Bob. I read about it, too and the history is certainly
interesting.
Unfortunately, the would-be customer doesn't want the seeds, he wants
an
actual tree and going by his name and the enquiry combined, I think
it
probable he's a Buddhist himself. I think he has probably exhausted
all the
UK possibilities and will have to look abroad.-

If it's not a matter of jam yesterday, perhaps he would contemplate an
offer to cultivate one from seed for him?

/sig and separator removed/

Or perhaps contact the various botanic gardens which have tropical
houses and see if anyone can do an offset for him. I hope he has a VERY
LARGE heated conservatory to house it.

Is the fruit edible/useful?

No, I think the figs themselves are very small, the size of peas.
Apparently they're used to make bangles in India and Sri Lanka. The tree is
practically of no economic, and of little ornamental, value. Except by
Buddhists, who revere the tree to the extent that when the seeds
spontaneously sprout in the crevices of building and become a nuisance, a
non-Buddhist must be found to remove the offending plant. There is or was a
tree at Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka that was brought as a young plant from India
in 288 B.C. and was still alive in the late 1960's.

someone

Old 10-02-2009, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "someone" contains these words:

No, I think the figs themselves are very small, the size of peas.
Apparently they're used to make bangles in India and Sri Lanka. The
tree is
practically of no economic, and of little ornamental, value. Except by
Buddhists, who revere the tree to the extent that when the seeds
spontaneously sprout in the crevices of building and become a nuisance, a
non-Buddhist must be found to remove the offending plant. There is or
was a
tree at Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka that was brought as a young plant from
India
in 288 B.C. and was still alive in the late 1960's.

Almost as good as a yew, then. (Except that the red jellystuff round the
seeds is edible, though the seeds themselves are deadly.)

And similar to hawthorns in Ireland, in that a lot of folk don't dare to
remove even the young seedlings for fear of displeasing the little
folk...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig