Old 29-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Growing suggestions

Cats may not do much harm, but dogs can destroy whatever you plant in the
ground by digging them up and dragging them around. So, it is reasonable to take
precautions.
12"-18" diameter pots are not that big for the purposes of growing larger
trunks. If growing in the ground is not feasible, use a much larger container. At
building supply outlets you can find large plastic containers for mixing up
concrete. These make great containers for growing out or for placing newly
collected trees for a stabilization period.
Another alternative is to build a container of wood. Scrap lumber is just
fine. It's always good to recycle.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
writes:
I want to plant some of the trees I've got so I can grow them up and get
some nice trunk action happening. I'm hesitant to plant trees in the ground here - I
get a few visiting cats and dogs on occasions and am afraid they will damage them. I
thought instead of making up a few growing boxes, or at least getting some really
big pots (12 - 18" diameter ones) to do this. Any suggestions on what is the best
way to go? Also what about depth? 6" seems to be ok to me, but I really have no
basis for this opinion. I look forward to your replies, thanks again one and all.
=============
This is going to depend upon the species you want to try. First, cats
and dogs are probably not going to bother trees that much and if they do you may get
some character from the damage.
As far as pots are concerned I do two things. I have some 12 inch
bulb pans that are six inches deep and I have some large clay pots that are as much
as 24 by 24.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --