Old 16-07-2003, 08:25 PM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Trident Maple Extensions

You've already had some good suggestions but I can make another
observation. "Maples of the World" lists at least 29 A buergerianum
sub-species and varieties. Bonsai are rarely received as named varieties
though.

I have Tridents from five different sources. They all have very slight
differences in their growth habit and one has proved to be very
difficult. This one has a generally smaller and slightly more pointed
leaf with the side lobes reduced. It also emerges a deeper reddish hue
than the often pink/red new leaves. This one is extremely slow growing
even when printed in the ground, for me at least. It usually pushes
about an inch or two on some of the more vigorous areas. My others types
of Trident can easily put on over a metre of shoot extension in a
season. These are both in growing beds in the ground and with unfettered
growth to thicken the lower trunk.

A friend's tree suffers the same sort of dieback that you described and
he has regularly had to reduce it massively to cut out the dead wood.

I'd try some cuttings from a different source. You may find that rapidly
overtake your slow/sickly one. (if it hasn't already succumbed to
Verticillium Wilt :-()

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Stuart Gill wrote:

Hi All

I have a Trident Maple that looks pretty healthy except it suffers from

some
dieback each year, the main problem I have with it is the new extension
growth is withered and brown and very slow to develop into new

extensions if
at all - in fact I there are new shoots this year but none have

actually
extended instead I have loads of withered looking buds, after about

four
months of the growing season.

I also have another Trident right next to it of the same age in the

same
medium, but this one is quite happy to produce new extensions that are

now
nearly three feet long in the last four months.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Many thanks in advance.

Stuart

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-07-2003, 10:07 AM
Theo

Hi Kevin

I have seen pictures of trident with colored leaves others than just red dish and
green
and I think that might be quite appealing to get one.. I wonder if they are already
on sale

I have found in my( not personall of course:-) ) botanic park a variety of
tridents one is
labelled Trident from Creta and the leaves are just like buergerianum quite small
but
leathery like bay leaves and is a perennial keeps leaves on in winter
I am going to collect seeds , if the weather will be a little rainy hopefully,as
I am afraid
might be strile because of the heat weave..
i you are interested an as you are in England I guess it might be possible ..With
the States eregulations would be
more complicate
Moreover I have found another without gardent ag that is much similar to Burger
but
drooping branches and the bark is straight strained grey silver as shouild be
but slightly
orange in between teh cracks .. the normar burger peels in orange plaques when
old if I am not wrong

Do not have a digital camera yet ( I cannot make up my mind which one to buy)
otherwise it could be
interesting to exchange some shots
i can send you a scan of the Burger from Creta with seed ponds as I have it

friendly
Theo

Stuart Gill wrote:

[...]

* Think like an Alien &discovery your own planet*

Old 17-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Carl L Rosner

In my limited experience, it sounds like you have a root zone problem.
Have you looked at the roots lately? When was it last repotted, etc.
more info might help the more expert Bonsaist among us.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48