Old 20-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Ben Griffin

Default [IBC] ROT

So while talking about rot and lime sulfer i noticed a
few people mentioned git rot. I ran a google search
for it and found that it said it treated dry rot.
What is the difference between dry rot and not dry rot
are they caused by different fungus'? Is there a wet
rot? If so how do you tell the difference between the
2.

Ben

http://sbc.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Jim Lewis

So while talking about rot and lime sulfer i noticed a
few people mentioned git rot. I ran a google search
for it and found that it said it treated dry rot.
What is the difference between dry rot and not dry rot
are they caused by different fungus'? Is there a wet
rot? If so how do you tell the difference between the
2.

Since Git Rot isn't meant for trees but for boat hulls, it
doesn't really matter. Your trees probably won't have the same
"dry rot" that a wooden boat hull might have.

In bonsai, you would use it much like you would use Minwax Wood
hardener -- to fill punky, rotted areas of wood on your trees
with an acrylic of some sort.

BTW, despite all the bonsai literature to the contrary, lime
sulfur has little preservative properties.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 21-07-2003, 05:28 AM
Alan Walker

Perhaps not, Jim, but I've learned from experience that applying lime-sulfur
keeps the jin or shari more clean and free of moss, etc. so that it stays drier and,
therefore, less likely to decompose due to rot.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
Jim Lewis wrote:
BTW, despite all the bonsai literature to the contrary, lime sulfur has little
preservative properties.
Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

Old 21-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Sam Williams

Ben,

I do not know the answer to your question. But I would like to make a
simple observation of what has been said thus far. It seems that no one
realizes that you just wanted to know if there were a difference between dry rot
and "wet" rot. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that you were only
curious.
When someone asks a question, I really do not think it is up to other
people to determine the IMPORTANCE or significance of such questions. If
someone wants to make a response, don't you think it should be more like "I don't
know" instead of "its not important"? That cuts down the person who asked
it, don't you think? Sorry, I am just irritated that people could be so
careless as to answer in such an immature manner.
Sam Williams
- a person who likes to be treated with respect, even in emails.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Peroxide on root rot ? Mark Hill - President, EESiFlo Inc. Bonsai 0 01-08-2005 09:40 PM
[IBC] Root Rot-TREATMENT Michael Persiano Bonsai 25 13-04-2005 02:42 AM
[IBC] Root rot Steve wachs Bonsai 1 10-04-2005 10:46 PM
[IBC] Git Rot Jim Stone Bonsai 1 22-07-2003 12:22 PM