Old 03-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Brian Berggoetz

Default [IBC] Rice Hulls

The head of the local bonsai society was telling me the other day that
he uses rice hulls more than fir bark in his mix now. Though he still
puts some bark in the mix, the organic component is still predominately
rice hulls. He uses a soil amendment called Kelloggs Amend which is
about 70% rice hulls. After researching on the web, it appears to be
comparible to fir bark in air space and water retention. I did notice
that one study showed that it slowly releases Nitrogen, Phosphorus and
Potassium as it decomposes, though it does break down very slowly. Does
anyone have any experience with it? Brian Zone 12

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Jerry Meislik

Brian,
Before you use it on good trees. I would try an experiment to see how fast
this breaks down as part of a soil mix.
Coccoa hulls for one breaks down very fast into a mush.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
The head of the local bonsai society was telling me the other day that
he uses rice hulls more than fir bark in his mix now. Though he still
puts some bark in the mix, the organic component is still predominately
rice hulls. He uses a soil amendment called Kelloggs Amend which is
about 70% rice hulls. After researching on the web, it appears to be
comparible to fir bark in air space and water retention. I did notice
that one study showed that it slowly releases Nitrogen, Phosphorus and
Potassium as it decomposes, though it does break down very slowly. Does
anyone have any experience with it? Brian Zone 12

************************************************** ****************************
**
************************************************** ****************************
**

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Kitsune Miko

My neighbor worked for a research lab on a project of what to do with rice
hulls. We dug bags and bags of them in to our adobe soil. Took a couple
of years to break down. There were some interesting fungi growing on them
and I am still growing rice weeds 10 years later. Recently planted that
area and there is no sign of organic matter being added to that soil.

Kitsune Miko

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

Old 03-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Neal Ross

I live in an area that grows a large percentage of the rice for California.
Every year we have to suffer through the smoke and haze created by the rice
farmers when they burn their fields after harvesting. They claim the rice
hulls take years to break down if left alone to decompose naturally. So
there may be some truth to the thought that they would work well in bonsai
soil.

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA

Old 04-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Alan Walker

I just have to ask, Brian. Do your bonsai go snap, crackle, and pop?!? ;-)

Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
Brian Berggoetz wrote:
The head of the local bonsai society was telling me the other day that
he uses rice hulls more than fir bark in his mix now. Though he still
puts some bark in the mix, the organic component is still predominately
rice hulls.
He uses a soil amendment called Kellogg's Amend which is
about 70% rice hulls. After researching on the web, it appears to be
comparable to fir bark in air space and water retention. I did notice

Old 04-08-2003, 03:11 AM
Jim Lewis

The head of the local bonsai society was telling me the other
day that
he uses rice hulls more than fir bark in his mix now. Though

he still
puts some bark in the mix, the organic component is still

predominately
rice hulls. He uses a soil amendment called Kelloggs Amend

which is
about 70% rice hulls. After researching on the web, it appears

to be
comparible to fir bark in air space and water retention. I did

notice
that one study showed that it slowly releases Nitrogen,

Phosphorus and
Potassium as it decomposes, though it does break down very

slowly. Does
anyone have any experience with it? Brian Zone 12

Hmmmm. I did a simple (non-Google) web search for Kelloggs Amend
and came up with a dozen marijuana-growing sites. ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

Old 04-08-2003, 03:22 AM
Iris Cohen

He uses a soil amendment called Kelloggs Amend which is about 70% rice
hulls.

Where can I get it? Or very fine fir bark?
Iris
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 04-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Bart Thomas

I just have to ask, Brian. Do your bonsai go snap, crackle, and

pop?!? ;-)

Only when he bends branches. ;-)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-08-2003, 04:42 PM
dalecochoy

Hmmmm. I did a simple (non-Google) web search for Kelloggs Amend
and came up with a dozen marijuana-growing sites. ;-)
Jim Lewis

That's for the new cereal "Dragon Puffs" !
:)
Maybe you should send those sites to FDA and ATF, maybe they need to know?
Dale

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++