Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Robert O'Brien

Default [IBC] English Hawthorn

Hi Iris...I have a similar situation with an english hawthorn...very one
sided nebari. This past spring I did a workshop with Pauline Muth ,and after she
had a look she had me make a small vertical incision right down into the
cambium about where I needed roots...she gave me some of her hormone powder and I
dusted the cut...wrapped it in sphagnum and waited. I had a little look last
week and lo an behold...there are some new roots coming along !...obviously
this is a springtime operation but worth the wait. I'm not sure but I thought
she had actually said that these weren't usually the best candidates for
grafting roots...however my memory...................???? best of luck BobO
western Ma

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Mike Bennett

My own experience of hawthorn is that, whilst they are quick to strike
roots, it seems to take a great deal of time for them to form anything of
any note. Airlayers have always proved difficult, you get a large number of
very small roots but, even after a couple of years there is rarely enough
root mass to sustain the plant on its own.

Mike Bennett. UK

[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Iris Cohen

This past spring I did a workshop with Pauline Muth ,and after she had a
look she had me make a small vertical incision right down into the cambium
about where I needed roots...she gave me some of her hormone powder and I
dusted the cut...wrapped it in sphagnum and waited.

I can do that too. However, the base of the trunk is very boring, and I am
hoping an approach graft of a few of the cuttings will give the trunk base some
more interest.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

[IBC] FOUND!! A Parslie leafed Hawthorn Barb Bonsai 3 11-10-2003 11:02 PM
English Hawthorn Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 18-09-2003 03:02 PM
English Hawthorn Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 09-08-2003 02:36 PM
[IBC] Dotted Hawthorn Sean Nemecek Bonsai 1 25-05-2003 03:32 PM
[IBC] Hawthorn transplanting MartyWeiser Bonsai 5 22-04-2003 10:44 PM