Old 11-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Barb

Default [IBC] FOUND!! A Parslie leafed Hawthorn

Hi all,
I finally found some on my very own property!!! They were hiding under a
youpon plant and somehow I just had missed them..lol.. There appear to be 3
individual plants together, I hope so.. The tallest is about 18" - 2 ' tall,
and the others are much smaller. Now, My question is this, As fall is right
around the corner, do I wait to dig them up and pot them, or should I go
ahead while they have their leaves on them, so I can tell if they stay
alive..lol....
Should I cut the roots if I dig them up? To repot them? all help greatly
appreciated...
Barb
in Zone 9 in Southeast Texas
PS. I also have one other type of Hawthorn.. it has oval slightly serritated
leaves and thorns about 2" long.. and berries the resemble small rose
hips...these are all large trees, when do you take the hips to plant for
new trees and when do you plant them?
Thanks again,
Barb

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi all,
I finally found some on my very own property!!! They were

hiding under a
youpon plant and somehow I just had missed them..lol.. There

appear to be 3
individual plants together, I hope so.. The tallest is about

18" - 2 ' tall,
and the others are much smaller. Now, My question is this, As

fall is right
around the corner, do I wait to dig them up and pot them, or

should I go
ahead while they have their leaves on them, so I can tell if

they stay
alive..lol....
Should I cut the roots if I dig them up? To repot them? all

help greatly
appreciated...

Hawthorn can be VERY tricky to dig successfully. WAIT until eary
spring! If you found 3 trunks close together, I'd guess they all
come from the same root. You will want to start digging well
away from them to find out. Get as much root as humanly
possible, doing as little damages as possible. I'd recommend
planting them back into the ground and leaving them alone for a
year or two before putting them into a large TRAINING pot for a
few more years.

PS. I also have one other type of Hawthorn.. it has oval

slightly serritated
leaves and thorns about 2" long.. and berries the resemble

small rose
hips...these are all large trees, when do you take the hips to

plant for
new trees and when do you plant them?

Watch the trees. When the berries start to fall, that's when you
plant them. It may take a couple of years to germinate. Dirr
says to soak DRY haw seeds in acid (he doesn't say which) for 2-3
hours then warm stratified for 120 days at 70-77 degrees F,
followed by 135 days at 41 degrees F. This is for C. crusgalli;
other species don't require the acid bath, but DO require the
hot/cold treatment. C. crusgalli sounds a bit like what you
have, though Haws are the most difficult plants to differentiate.

I wouldn't go to all the trouble to grow haws from seed. I have
never had a cutting take.

The best way to get a hawthorn is to buy one from a nursery that
sells native plants.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Martin Haber

safest way is to dig a trench around each one and leave them in their
original position. Place a marker near each so you can find it in the
spring. It should be like eating apple pie to pot them up then.
Marty
[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 11-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Blake and Jennifer Wilkins

The best way to get a hawthorn is to buy one from a nursery that
sells native plants.

Barb -

Parsley hawthorn is easily located in such nurseries in Southeast Texas as
it is, indeed, one of our native species. In Houston, you can find them at,
amongst others, Buchanan's Nursery in Houston, a small nursery specializing
in native plants. It is one of our favorite nurseries, so if you are in
this area, please give them your patronage.

As for those on your property, parsley hawthorn is also a fabulous
understory tree - quite beautiful in spring * and a favorite of birds and
butterflies - we have one we purchased from Buchanan's in a place of honor
in our yard. I would recommend leaving yours alone and buying a nice one
for training.

Blake in Houston