Old 11-08-2003, 10:34 PM
sandy & mary

Default Bougainvillea viner vs. busher

A neighbor has shown me that there exists two kinds of Bougainvillea, one
which vines and is more commonly found and the other which bushes, and is
less well known.

They differ in leaf size, internodes and growth.The busher has small
leaves,extremely close internodes, and grows more slowly. The viner has
large leaves, long internodes and and rapid growth.I recently introduced the
bushing variety to my garden here in mid Florida's east coast

I have not seen any references to this distinction in the literature. Does
anyone have any literature or any more info on the distinction bwtwwen
these?

Sandy

Old 12-08-2003, 01:24 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Bougainvillea viner vs. busher

A neighbor has shown me that there exists two kinds of
Bougainvillea, one
which vines and is more commonly found and the other which

bushes, and is
less well known.

They differ in leaf size, internodes and growth.The busher has

small
leaves,extremely close internodes, and grows more slowly. The

viner has
large leaves, long internodes and and rapid growth.I recently

introduced the
bushing variety to my garden here in mid Florida's east coast

I have not seen any references to this distinction in the

literature. Does
anyone have any literature or any more info on the distinction

bwtwwen
these?

Bougainvillea are more properly described as "rangy shrubs."
They're not "vines" in the sense of twining growths, though they
do send out long shoots. The spines that many of them have help
them spread up a trellis or a wall -- hence the "vineish" look.

There are several species and scores of cultivars. My favorite
is B.glabra 'pink pixie' -- small leaves, small colorful bracts
and no thorns.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-08-2003, 02:03 AM
rschmitt23

I found a nice $15 San Diego Red boug in a 5 gallon growpot a few months ago at
Silver Creek Nursery in Irvine CA. It's definitely a bush (about 3 feet high
when I bought it) with beautiful white bark on a 1.25 inch diameter trunk and
excellent primary and secondary branches. I pruned it to about 18 inches,
leaving about half of the foliage, and repotted in the recommended 70%
organic/30% inorganic mix, including a fair amount of long fiber sphagnum moss
chopped to an inch or so in length. I carefully removed about a third of the
root ball from the bottom and about an inch or so around the sides. I didn't
notice many roots in the pile of old soil, so I think that I exercised enough
TLC. So far, so good, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. There's so much
contradictory info out there about bougs (the plant is a weed that grows in
almost soil, the plant is delicate, etc. etc.) that I really don't know what to
expect. I suppose you just have to keep on truckin and hope for the best.

Later
Ray Schmitt, Aliso Viejo, CA
Cold Hardiness Zone 10b
AHS Heat Zone 4
Sunset Climate Zone 22

[...]

[IBC] Bougainvillea safe inseticide/pesticide. Carlos P. Bonsai 11 30-07-2003 03:23 AM
bougainvillea billtheburglar United Kingdom 2 27-05-2003 02:08 PM
[IBC] Big Bougainvillea - 3 Years of Development Luis Fontanills Bonsai 0 25-03-2003 01:44 PM
[IBC] Bougainvillea advice CLSC Bonsai 4 06-03-2003 03:39 PM
[IBC] Bougainvillea root pruning Neal Ross Bonsai 2 27-02-2003 03:53 AM