Old 05-03-2003, 11:15 PM
CLSC

Default [IBC] Bougainvillea advice

Hi everyone,
I have 2 bougainvilleas, they are 2yrs. old growing in regular flower
pots. I was told by someone who is knowledgeable with bonsai that I
should leave them alone for another year or two.
Now, the problem, over the crazy winter they have become very root
bound. I know in the spring I will have to root prune them. Should I put
them back in the same growing pot they are in now, go to a little larger
pot or what? They both have about 1/2 in. trunk now.
I hope this makes sense and doesn't sound too dumb.
Thanks to all of you,
Cathy
Catherine Spence Calley - - (MO. zone 6/7)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-03-2003, 11:51 PM
Marty Haber

bougies like to be potbound - within reason. If you starve them in winter
and are miserly with water, they will reward you with gorgeous bloom later
on. They are happiest when dry and in the sun.
Marty

Old 06-03-2003, 06:43 AM
CLSC

Hi Marty,
I have done this with them, but they are past "potbound within reason".
That's why I was wondering about the reporting.

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

Old 06-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Marty Haber

OK. Use your own judgement on this; but this job is best done on bougies in
warm weather.

Old 06-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Carl L Rosner

Cathy,

I am, no expert with the Bougainvillea, but I have four of them blooming
for the last two months. I do water them when they are dry, and I have
been known to feed them a 1/4 teaspoon of Superbloom 12-55-6 off and on
through the winter into spring. ;-) .

I do try and wait for warmer weather (spring) to repot. But the
Bougainvillea is a tough baby, and I have repotted them during the
coldest part of a winter, (of course they were in my heated green
house). It was a decision due to the look of the plant. It came
through quite well.

Good luck,

Carl