Old 13-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Barb

Default [IBC] Question please

Good morning to the list..I am a newcomer to here and to the world of
Bonsia.. and I have a question for anyone who might be able to help me
out...
How do you keep a tree from growing too tall...my wired Red Bud is so happy
it is growing way too tall..lol..I don't know if I should pinch the top back
again or not. I did it a couple of times to force new branches to grow along
the trunk.. should i just leave it alone till next spring and then trim it?
Any advice?
much thanks, Barb
Bonsia Lady

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Martin

Barb - your Redbud problem has two possible causes: either it is "apically
dominent" ( which means that genetically the top growth wants to take over
at the expense of the lower growth), or the tree wants more sunlight than
it's present location provides. In either case, it's kind of late in the
season to do any major pruning. Wait until spring, before the buds open,
before making any major cuts. I believe Redbud flowers before it leafs out,
so you may lose some of your flowers; but that's a decision you have to
make. Very often bonsai growers have to make the same decision, and it's a
tough one to make.
Marty
Good morning to the list..I am a newcomer to here and to the world of
Bonsia.. and I have a question for anyone who might be able to help me
out...
How do you keep a tree from growing too tall...my wired Red Bud is so

happy
it is growing way too tall..lol..I don't know if I should pinch the top

back
again or not. I did it a couple of times to force new branches to grow

along
the trunk.. should i just leave it alone till next spring and then trim

it?
Any advice?
much thanks, Barb
Bonsia Lady

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Barb, You will be very safe with Marty's advice but I believe he is in the
mid-Atlantic area and you are in the heart of Texas. How important is this
particular plant to you? If you are willing to take a risk, I suspect you
have several months of growing season ahead of you. Doing a moderate
pruning now (leaving three or four leaves instead of the usual one or two)
may get you more and lower growth for your selection next spring. I'm
growing a redbud seedling for a mame (that's right, mame; the leaves reduce
tremendously) and I've pruned mine back three times this summer. It's
getting leggy again and I'm debating if four prunings in one year is too
much. I think that "no" is going to win this weekend since I also have
several months of growing season left and I don't expect to see blooms on
this little charmer soon or even ever.

In my case, I think every pruning is a risk but don't think my fourth
pruning is a very great one. I suspect your situation is similar to mine.
Good luck with your redbud. The leaf reduction will amaze you and maybe
you'll get flowers as a bonus. If not, it's still a neat tree just for its
open branching pattern and foliage. Have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a

Old 15-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Barb

Morning Marty, and all..
Barb - your Redbud problem has two possible causes: either it is

"apically dominent" ( which means that genetically the top growth wants to
take over at the expense of the lower growth),

(Well, I think I know what you mean here, that the tree wants to grow tall
as opposed to making more branches, at this point. You are most likeky right
as the top two layer of leaves have growm much larger, just seemingly all of
a sudden)

or the tree wants more sunlight than it's present location provides.

(This tree, at present is under an African Violet Gro light..lol.. it is
this years seedling. plenty of light. I am recovering from major back
surgery, so it is eaiser to care for stuff in the house. I know I willl have
to put it outside so it can 'drop' its leaves come fall,m but that is a long
way off here in southeast Texas..lol)

In either case, it's kind of late in the season to do any major pruning.
Wait until spring, before the buds open, before making any major cuts. I
believe Redbud flowers before it leafs out,
so you may lose some of your flowers; but that's a decision you have to

make.

(yes, that is correct.. the flowers appear first then the leaves)

Very often bonsai growers have to make the same decision, and it's a
tough one to make.
Marty

Thanks again Marty, it will be a few years before this little tree will be
ready to bloom, but when my neighbor wanted to get it out of her flowerbed,
I took it..lol a very good way to aquire different trees and shrubs..
Barb
Bonsai Lady

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Martin

We see eye to eye, except on one point: Gro lights do not provide as much
good light as sunshine. Much less candle power; and, if placed overhead,
they encourage the kind of growth you are trying to avoid - top growth.
Marty