Old 13-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Robert Seele

Default [IBC] Name

Can anyone give me the Genus of Prostrada junoper?

Thanks

Bob Seele

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Anita Hawkins

Robert Seele wrote:
Can anyone give me the Genus of Prostrada junoper?

^ ^

Bob - I love easy questions! Especially when I'm just about to leave
work. Thanks for the chance

The genus of junipers is... Juniperus!

As an aside, if you're looking for info on the web, you'll want to
look for "prostata" and "juniper" (note spellings), but be aware there
are LOTS of floppy crawly (=prostrata) juniper cultivars out there.

Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
"I like winter trees against the sky, I said.
What does that say about you, she said, that you like
undressed trees. A voyeur."
-from a poem by Kay Cheever

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Jim Lewis

Robert Seele wrote:
Can anyone give me the Genus of Prostrada junoper?

^ ^

And Anita answered:

Bob - I love easy questions! Especially when I'm just about to

leave
work. Thanks for the chance

The genus of junipers is... Juniperus!

As an aside, if you're looking for info on the web, you'll want

look for "prostata" and "juniper" (note spellings), but be

aware there
are LOTS of floppy crawly (=prostrata) juniper cultivars out

there.

Like:

Juniperus horizontalis
Juniperus chinensis 'Pfitzeriana' (and a zillion varieties of it)
Juniperus chinensis 'San Jose'
Juniperus chinensis var. sargentii (and a scad of similar ones)
Juniperus procumbens (and J. p. 'Nana')
Juniperus sabina 'Broadmoor'
Juniperus scopulorum 'Winter Blue'
Juniperus squamata 'Blue carpet'

And undoubtedly many others that I have never seen or heard of.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Just
returned from viewing "Whale Rider" and ready to ship out with
Nic to New Zealand. GO SEE IT!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Iris Cohen

Can anyone give me the Genus of Prostrada junoper?

All junipers (please note spelling) belong to the genus Juniperus. There are
many juniper species with a prostrate growth habit. The one you may be thinking
of, which closely resembles J. procumbens 'Nana,' is Juniperus squamata
'Prostrata.'
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."